The "Million Dollar Backfield"

racepug

The "Million Dollar Backfield"

Post by racepug »

A few days behind on my newspapers and I was reading an obituary of "The King" Hugh McElhenny. With those four future H.o.F.ers in their backfield can anyone explain why those San Francisco 49ers didn't enjoy more success?
Sonny9

Re: The "Million Dollar Backfield"

Post by Sonny9 »

Bad defense
Having to split the carries. 1954 they led the league in rushing yards. The next 2 seasons they were slightly under the league average yardage wise.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Yes to above - the defense was a weak spot -- plus the fact that the NFL West had some really good teams -- the Lions could be considered the team of the decade, the Rams had some great seasons, the Bears in 56, the Colts were coming on in the late 50s. There weren't expanded playoffs -- they only played in one playoff game after they tied for the div crown. Lost a big lead to the Lions in the playoff.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Very tough division but with the talent surrounding him, YA Tittle just couldnt win enough big games.
I still feel Shaw deserves the HOF however ...
racepug

Post by racepug »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:Lost a big lead to the Lions in the playoff.
I do believe that's the last time (to date) that the Lions won a road playoff game! :shock:
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

The original "Million Dollar Backfield" at least helped the Cardinals to their second and most recent NFL championship (1947).
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

racepug wrote:
GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:Lost a big lead to the Lions in the playoff.
I do believe that's the last time (to date) that the Lions won a road playoff game! :shock:
They've only won one playoff game since 1957.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

In addition to the four HOF players in the backfield, you also had a HOF tackle in Bob St Clair and Billy Wilson at receiver who has his own HOF case. On defense, there was HOF Nomellini and other talented players like Hazeltine at LB and Dick Moegle in the secondary who intercepted 20 passes his first three seasons before getting hurt. A lot of talent on the squad. In 1957, when the Niners lost in the postseason, it was one of Joe Perry's least productive seasons running. Go figure. Towards the end of the decade, JD Smith and RC Owens were also productive players ...
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I think the Million Dollar Backfield actually was collectively paid about $65K in the mid-50s.
racepug

Post by racepug »

RichardBak wrote:I think the Million Dollar Backfield actually was collectively paid about $65K in the mid-50s.
Ahhhh - but what's that in today's dollars? :P