Washington Commanders

JWL

Washington Commanders

Post by JWL »

Good
I like teams having nicknames. Washington Football Team did not work for me.
I like the burgundy uniforms and how Commanders is written on the jerseys with the line above and below the word.
I like that there are no TV numbers.

Bad
I like teams having nicknames with one or two syllables. Newspaper editors and fans are going to shorten this name to Commies. This will be done especially so by fans of rival teams.

Ugly
There are three uniform sets. It actually appears that there were three completely different designs and that nobody could settle on one.
"We'll go with Eric's home look. We'll take Mark's road look. Then we'll go with Steve's alternate look."

The sets don't match. It is like when the Vikings had UCLA stripes on the road jerseys but had piping on the sleeves of their home jerseys.
ChrisBabcock

Re: Washington Commanders

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Yeah, the name is horrible. They had 18 months to come up with that. Actually more if you consider they should have done away with Redskins long ago. I wish they could have kept the native American theme but in an honorable and respectful way. Like Braves (history of that name with the team) or Warriors (W.W. alliteration would roll off the tongue).
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Yeah, Commanders doesn't do it for me either. Preferred Warriors or even Admirals.

And the Washington "Commies"? That's a meme just waiting to happen in today's political environment.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Horrible name, early 2000s video game create-a-team style uniforms, BFBS, and as JWL pointed out, the 3 different uniform sets.

First messages I read this morning from fam/friends all made the "Commies" reference, too. That's everywhere and should have been obvious and came up during marketing research as cause to remove the name from consideration.
Oszuscik

Post by Oszuscik »

Reaser wrote:Horrible name, early 2000s video game create-a-team style uniforms, BFBS, and as JWL pointed out, the 3 different uniform sets.

First messages I read this morning from fam/friends all made the "Commies" reference, too. That's everywhere and should have been obvious and came up during marketing research as cause to remove the name from consideration.
That was the first thing I thought of too! The "W" logo on their helmet looks like one of those lame stock logos from the Madden create a franchise mode.

I'm okay with the Commanders name, but as JWL pointed out the uniforms are terrible. There is no over-arching design with the home, away, or alternate uniforms.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

Why didn't they go with the Washington Generals instead? Oops, sorry that one is already taken. They'd probably have just as much success (or lack thereof) with that name anyway :lol:
Zero26

Post by Zero26 »

I don't like the name. Feels like a college team name. There were some good ones on the list too. I was pulling for Admirals. WFT being a European style name was cool for the NFL. It could be worse, I can't really understand the people pushing for "Hogs" but to think they went through all that work to come up with Commanders is a little underwhelming.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Can there be multiple Commanders, or should there just be a singular Commander? Or is it like a "too many Chiefs, not enough Indians" type of thing?
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

When they play Kansas City, it'll be the Commanders against the Chiefs.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Pointless nickname, terrible uniforms. In my opinion, they should have simply stuck with 'Football Team'. Just the uniqueness of it along with (a modern NFL team actually having) jersey numbers on the helmets.

Changing the location name to 'District of Columbia', or abbreviated as 'DC', wouldn't have been a bad idea either.