An idea for the 17th game

sheajets

An idea for the 17th game

Post by sheajets »

I haven't exactly thought through all the logistics of this, but now that we're playing a 17 game season, why not allow NFL teams to negotiate among themselves (and neighboring metropolitan areas and alternate stadiums) to establish series of games (maximum length 3 years). It could be a way to rekindle old rivalries and bring the NFL to new venues.

For example for 2022, 23, and 24 the Jets and the Giants could agree to a Battle of New York Series. 2022 the 17th game could be hosted at Yankee Stadium, 2023 at Citi Field, 2024 back at Metlife. And if the Jets are playing the NFC East that year...so be it. They meet twice

A lot of possibilities here. You could have Redskins/Ravens Battle of Maryland. Steelers/Eagles at Beaver Stadium. You could have Seattle host an opponent in Vancouver(Denver?). Cowboys/Texans at the Cotton Bowl. Patriots perhaps could host games at Fenway Park. Maybe a Chargers homecoming game in SD?

There will be things to work out...finding a dance partner for the Jaguars etc. But I think something like this would be an interesting way to get the NFL into some different environments
Jamie Johnson

Re: An idea for the 17th game

Post by Jamie Johnson »

I like the idea. The NFL would have to get creative with some matchups if they are to be exclusively AFC-NFC matchups. I can get on board with playing games at old venues that are still standing that have rich football memories, such as Wrigley Field, the Cotton Bowl and even RFK (if it’s still standing). Other college venues I would consider playing in would be Ohio State Stadium, Michigan Stadium and Notre Dame Stadium.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I have always wanted the Cowboys to make at least one return game to the Cotton Bowl but I dont think it will ever happen. Jerry Jones simply doesnt care enough about the team history before 1989, otherwise there would be more former players in the Cowboy Ring Of Honor like Andrie, Green, Pugh, Jones, Martin and Neely.

From 1975 - 1989 when Jones bought the team, there were seven players enshrined. In the 32 years since, he has only added six additional players from the Landry Era, while also enshrining Landry, Schramm and Brandt. He has added six players from the Johnson Era as well but not Johnson.
Maybe he will add more players in the future but right now, he has another season of Hard Knocks to think about.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Really good idea....and I also love the thought of the Cowboys playing in the Cotton Bowl again....Bears at Wrigley would be fun, too....Packers in Milwaukee.....Washington at RFK....be a lot of fun if teams played in their former home stadiums that are still around....
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I like the idea as well. It's a great way to bring back interconference rivalry games, or ones that are not played as frequently.
JKelly

Post by JKelly »

Jamie Johnson wrote:I like the idea. The NFL would have to get creative with some matchups if they are to be exclusively AFC-NFC matchups. I can get on board with playing games at old venues that are still standing that have rich football memories, such as Wrigley Field, the Cotton Bowl and even RFK (if it’s still standing). Other college venues I would consider playing in would be Ohio State Stadium, Michigan Stadium and Notre Dame Stadium.
Umm...... I think the players association would not allow that to happen in regards to old venues. College yes but the other places probably not.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

JKelly wrote:
Jamie Johnson wrote:I like the idea. The NFL would have to get creative with some matchups if they are to be exclusively AFC-NFC matchups. I can get on board with playing games at old venues that are still standing that have rich football memories, such as Wrigley Field, the Cotton Bowl and even RFK (if it’s still standing). Other college venues I would consider playing in would be Ohio State Stadium, Michigan Stadium and Notre Dame Stadium.
Umm...... I think the players association would not allow that to happen in regards to old venues. College yes but the other places probably not.

If they're decrepit beyond belief then no. They wouldn't want the players playing there...still if proper safety precautions are made I definitely think you could get the NFLPA on board with the Patriots at Fenway. Or the Bears at Wrigley
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

As much as I'd love to see a 49ers game at Kezar again I am extremely skeptical that such a thing will come to pass.
The insurance costs, need to upgrade the venues and other financial considerations will keep the games in the current stadiums.
Too damn bad, though... it's a wonderful idea!
Jamie Johnson

Post by Jamie Johnson »

JKelly wrote:
Please forgive my ignorance on this, but why would the players association object to it? Texas and Oklahoma play yearly in the Cotton Bowl and Wrigley hosted a Northwestern game about 7 years ago, I believe. What issues would the NFLPA have?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Honestly, I would rather watch the Cowboys play at the Cotton Bowl on natural grass rather than that future FEMA holding station stadium they play in now ... haha