Bob Trumpy

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JeffreyMiller

Bob Trumpy

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Trumpy was an original Bengal and a stalwart who led the team from its infancy as an AFL expansion franchise in 1968 into a NFL playoff caliber team in its first year as a member of the league. He was a a solid tight end who was as adept at catching passes as he was at blocking. In ten pro seasons, Trumpy played in four Pro Bowls and garnered one first-team All-Pro nod. His best year was 1969, when he caught 37 balls for 835 (22.6-yards per catch) accounting for 9 touchdowns.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
RichardBak

Re: Bob Trumpy

Post by RichardBak »

Well, if Trumpy doesn't get into the HOVG he can always hire Sydney Powell to argue his case.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Trumpy and later Rodney Holman were excellent pass catching tight ends. Had both had more TD receptions, their cases for the HOF would be stronger but both deserve to be in the HOVG ...
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Ken Houston told me that Trumpy was one of the best tight ends he faced. He added that he wished that players could vote for the HOF so that he could vote for him.

Not quite old enough to remember Trumpy as a player but I loved him as an announcer.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:Ken Houston told me that Trumpy was one of the best tight ends he faced. He added that he wished that players could vote for the HOF so that he could vote for him.

Not quite old enough to remember Trumpy as a player but I loved him as an announcer.
That's a very interesting idea---having players vote for the HOF. Not sure exactly how that would work, but it makes sense in a way. Who better to judge a player's greatness, which is not always apparent on stat sheets, than the guys he played against.

And I liked Trumpy as an announcer, too.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I agree, and I also think that Riley Odoms should be inducted into the HOVG. I nominate him every year, but he hasn´t made it yet to the final 20.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Teo wrote:I agree, and I also think that Riley Odoms should be inducted into the HOVG. I nominate him every year, but he hasn´t made it yet to the final 20.
Odoms is kind of a victim of bad timing. He is fairly dominant on film from an athletic standpoint...didn't have the best hands but he was a difficult matchup. The year the Broncos made the Super Bowl was probably Odoms' least productive season. I think if Odoms would have had one of his all-pro seasons in 1977, he would be better remembered.

As for Trumpy, its no coincidence that his big 1969 season came with Greg Cook at QB. He was productive for a surprisingly long period of time despite being a tall, fast TE. But he never really came close to reproducing his 1969 numbers, and I don't think the rest of his career is HOVG worthy. I read a story that after he graduated college, he went back home to Illinois and worked out with Zeke Bratkowski in the offseason. Bratkowski told him he could make the Packers roster, and Trumpy said that comment gave him confidence to play in the NFL.