1967 Vikings preseason

JohnR

1967 Vikings preseason

Post by JohnR »

Anybody have a program or two from Minnesota's preseason games? I'm trying to figure out what QB wore #16 in a game vs the Falcons. Another question would be, when did the Vikings sign Kapp?
Was that a development that came late in the summer when the front office found that filling Fran's shoes wasn't going to be so easy?
Brian wolf

Re: 1967 Vikings preseason

Post by Brian wolf »

You cant blame Bud Grant for bringing Kapp with him from Canada but I wonder if Jim Finks thought about drafting Bob Griese ? I think if the Dolphins hadnt grabbed him, the Vikings might have considered it with the #8th pick but who knows ? Houston, Denver and Detroit needed QBs as well.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

I'm pretty sure it was John Hankinson, whom the Vikings drafted out of Minnesota the year before. He was cut after the game you mention.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Hankinson...OK! I found a program for the following week's exhibition w/ the Browns and he's not listed. Thanks.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Jim Haynie of West Chester State is listed as a rookie QB on the 1967 Vikings preseason roster. He doesn't have a number assigned (none of the rookies do on this roster listing), but I believe he was #16 for the Pottstown Firebirds as King Corcoran's backup.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

JohnR wrote:Another question would be, when did the Vikings sign Kapp?
Was that a development that came late in the summer when the front office found that filling Fran's shoes wasn't going to be so easy?

Hi John! I hope you’re doing well.
Kapp did arrive late to Vikings camp. I’m not exactly sure when he finally arrived but I believe he missed all of the preseason games. The delay was caused by him being part of a complicated three way deal between the Vikings, BC Lions and Toronto Argonauts.

Kapp wanted to go back to the US and the Vikings’ Jim Young (“Dirty 30” as he came to be known) wanted to come back home to Canada. The Lions wanted Young but Toronto held his CFL rights so BC traded a couple of starters to the Argos for his rights. The Vikings got Young waived through the NFL and the Lions did the same with Kapp in the CFL and the rest is history.

Edit: I consulted my copy of Kapp’s autobiography and his first appearance as a Viking was in the Week 2 39-3 loss to the Rams. This was the game in which Kapp, upon entering the game, famously introduced himself to the Fearsome Foursome by cursing at them from across the line of scrimmage.
Last edited by JohnH19 on Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Bryan wrote:Jim Haynie of West Chester State is listed as a rookie QB on the 1967 Vikings preseason roster. He doesn't have a number assigned (none of the rookies do on this roster listing), but I believe he was #16 for the Pottstown Firebirds as King Corcoran's backup.
Coincidentally, Hankinson wore #16 at U of Minn. Given a choice I think he'd have snagged that number. The Vikes-Browns exhibition program from 9/10/67 lists three QBs; Kapp(11), VanderKelen(15), and Berry(17).
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

Not much to go on but Hankinson quarterbacked in the Vikings 16-3 pre-season win over Atlanta on Sept. 2 (first game of a doubleheader at Cleveland):

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=0 ... 0%2C556708

Minnesota signed Joe Kapp the very next day:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=g ... 5%2C586970

Hankinson was cut two days later:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=g ... 9%2C978564
JKelly

Post by JKelly »

Did the Vikings have to compensate Washington? Washington did draft him in 1959. Not sure if they still held his NFL rights in 67.