Least Likely Super Bowl QB

vikingsfan1963

Least Likely Super Bowl QB

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

Joe Kapp? Craig Morton (twice!), Billy Kilmer, David Woodley, Jeff Hostetler, Stan Humphries, Mark Rypien, Chris Chandler?
JeffreyMiller

Re: Least Likely Super Bowl QB

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Trent Dilfer
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Jake Delhomme
Rex Grossman
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Earl Morrall ... Played well with different teams but got hurt once the job was his ... Baltimore picked him up and it was a magical 1968 year. Unfortunately, the Super Bowl was in 1969.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Chris Chandelier, er Chandler, could always throw the ball and looked like a poor man's Jim Kelly but never had Kelly's toughness. Always coming out of games, which was really frustrating for Oiler/Titans fans ... Doug Williams had a rocket arm and touch as well but I never believed he would replace Schroeder but Gibbs had been targeting him since he left TB ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Vince Ferragamo looked like the second coming of Roman Gabriel in the SB but only got the job late in 79 when Haden got hurt.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Kerry Collins nearly drank himself out of the NFL but was resurrected by Giants Coach Jim Fassel. He won a satisfying NFC Championship but had in my opinion, probably the worst SB performance ever, against the Ravens.

RIP Coach Fassel
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

Brian wolf wrote:Kerry Collins nearly drank himself out of the NFL but was resurrected by Giants Coach Jim Fassel. He won a satisfying NFC Championship but had in my opinion, probably the worst SB performance ever, against the Ravens.

RIP Coach Fassel
I was thinking about Kerry Collins last week and was debating about making a post about worse Super QB matchups. Trent Dilfer vs Kerry Collins is my choice.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Knowing next to nothing about Kerry Collins, I looked up his stats on PFR. The dude had 23 fumbles one season (2001)! I figured this had to be some kind of record---which it was---but then saw that Daunte Culpepper had 23 the following season! Can anybody fill me in on why these two guys played oopsie so often with the ball? Just seems like an extraordinary number of times to fumble.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

RichardBak wrote:Knowing next to nothing about Kerry Collins, I looked up his stats on PFR. The dude had 23 fumbles one season (2001)! I figured this had to be some kind of record---which it was---but then saw that Daunte Culpepper had 23 the following season! Can anybody fill me in on why these two guys played oopsie so often with the ball? Just seems like an extraordinary number of times to fumble.

Botched handoffs get recorded as a fumble by the QB in the stats if I'm not mistaken. That could be part of the story