Best all-time roster: WRs

racepug

Best all-time roster: WRs

Post by racepug »

For me it's the San Francisco 49ers although I know a good case can be made for many other teams. Care to share your pick for "greatest all-time WR set"?
Gary Najman

Re: Best all-time roster: WRs

Post by Gary Najman »

Steelers: Swann, Stallworth, Lipps, Thigpen, Ward, Brown, Smith-Schuster.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Packers had Dilweg, Hutson, Howton, Dowler, McGee, Dale, Lofton, Sharpe, Freeman, Driver, Jennings, Jones, Cobb, Nelson, Adams ... I loved Brooks but injury prone. Jefferson was just briefly ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Raiders had Powell, Biletnikoff, Wells, Branch, Brown, Rice
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Brian wolf wrote:Packers had Dilweg, Hutson, Howton, Dowler, McGee, Dale, Lofton, Sharpe, Freeman, Driver, Jennings, Jones, Cobb, Nelson, Adams ... I loved Brooks but injury prone. Jefferson was just briefly ...
Johnny Blood played wingback and was usually flanked out, so I'd include him as a wide receiver. In fact, I'd call him the NFL's first flanker, a term that has since been folded into the "wide receiver" designation.
racepug

Post by racepug »

rhickok1109 wrote:Johnny Blood played wingback and was usually flanked out, so I'd include him as a wide receiver. In fact, I'd call him the NFL's first flanker, a term that has since been folded into the "wide receiver" designation.
That's some nice N.F.L. history right there! :) The Packers are an excellent choice for "Best WRs" from an all-time greats list, no question about it. Here's a list of San Francisco 49ers that I think gives them a slight edge over the Packers' group: Dwight Clark, Clifton McNeil, R.C. Owens, Terrell Owens, Dave Parks, Gordie Soltau, John Taylor, Gene Washington, Billy Wilson, and, of course, Jerry Rice.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Brian wolf wrote:Packers had Dilweg, Hutson, Howton, Dowler, McGee, Dale, Lofton, Sharpe, Freeman, Driver, Jennings, Jones, Cobb, Nelson, Adams ... I loved Brooks but injury prone. Jefferson was just briefly ...

I've gotta go with Packers for my pick on this one. It's always amazed me they've had an almost unbroken string of top notch WRs the last 30 years or so. Starting with Sharpe and including most of the guys listed above. And of course they had some guy named Don Hutson.
racepug

Post by racepug »

ChrisBabcock wrote:

I've gotta go with Packers for my pick on this one. It's always amazed me they've had an almost unbroken string of top notch WRs the last 30 years or so. Starting with Sharpe and including most of the guys listed above. And of course they had some guy named Don Hutson.
I can't argue with that too much. 49ers vs. Packers - pretty much neck-and-neck, for me. The Packers really do have a great group of WRs to choose from over the decades. Maybe the 49ers' absolute best are just a tad better than the Packers' very best but for overall depth - yeah, I can see why someone would take the Packers over the 49ers. I'd say that the Rams have a pretty good case, as well.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Alyn Beals was a TD machine and Freddie Soloman and Boldin were big time for 49ers as well ...

Rams had Benton, Fears, Hirsch, Boyd, Dale, Shofner, Phillips, Snow, Jackson, Dennard, Ellard, Anderson, Bruce, Holt ... pretty damn good
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

I would have loved to fit Paul Warfield in there somewhere but Cleveland and Miami's receiving core was pretty thin historically.