Best all-time roster: RBs

racepug

Best all-time roster: RBs

Post by racepug »

No question about this one, for me - "Da Bears" take the honors for "Best all-time roster" for RBs. Any others up for consideration?
RichardBak

Re: Best all-time roster: RBs

Post by RichardBak »

Packers. I'll let someone else provide the list.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

This (these) are a fun exercise but the arguments are going to be mostly opinion.

Are we talking "starting two" (or three) or number of great players over the life of a franchise?

I'll mention a few personal favorites:
The 49ers "million dollar backfield" had 3 hall of fame running backs in the same backfield at the same time... not a bad starting combo...

One could think of older franchises who had more HoF backs but for a starting duo I would be hard pressed to find better than Jim Brown and Leroy Kelly for the Browns (plus Bobby Mitchell and Marion Motley).

I think all of the older franchises are going to be able to stake some claim to most of these "Best All-Time" threads... it is going to be a "pick your flavor" kind of topic... but that's fine, it should be fun!
(More controversial might be which franchise has no claim...)
racepug

Post by racepug »

JuggernautJ wrote:Are we talking "starting two" (or three) or number of great players over the life of a franchise?
However many players in a given unit that you think deserve consideration for "Greatest of All Time" status. For instance, you may believe that the Lions have 5 or 6 or 7 running backs from their all-time roster who have a legitimate case at being considered "great" from a league-wide perspective while you may believe that the, say, Seahawks have no more than one or two RBs who merit that kind of consideration.
JuggernautJ wrote:I think all of the older franchises are going to be able to stake some claim to most of these "Best All-Time" threads
Yeah, that's one area where the older franchises in the league will probably have an advantage (though not in every case).
JuggernautJ wrote:This (these) are a fun exercise but the arguments are going to be mostly opinion. . . it is going to be a "pick your flavor" kind of topic... but that's fine, it should be fun!
That's what I'm hoping!
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

Dallas, I got Perkins, Dorsett, Smith and Elliott
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Murray, Garrison and Hill were good for Dallas as well, Walker and Thomas left too soon ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Would take the Browns over the Bears ... Bears had Nagurski, Casares, Sayers, Payton and Forte but Browns had Motley, Brown, Kelly, Greg Pruitt, Mike Pruitt, Byner
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Mitchell and Green as well ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Bills backs ... Gilchrist, Simpson, Cribbs, Thomas, McGahee, McCoy, Jackson, Lynch, Henry ...
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I'd go with Bears first without question. 2nd and 3rd would be a coin flip between Cowboys and Oilers/Titans. (Campbell/George/Henry). 4th and 5th a coin flip between Bills and Rams. (McCutcheon/Dickerson/Faulk/Jackson)