Aaron Rodgers

Jay Z

Re: Aaron Rodgers

Post by Jay Z »

Citizen wrote:Has a reigning MVP ever been traded? The closest I can find is John Hadl, who was the 1973 NFC Player of the Year and was dealt in the middle of the following season.
Van Brocklin and Jim Brown retired. Otherwise, I don't think so. The Joe Kapp fiasco has some similarities, but he wasn't the MVP, Roman Gabriel was.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

As was the case with Brady in NE I don't think GB wants to commit big dollars to a QB that's up in years. That's too much of your salary cap tied up in an aging asset. A fascinating caveat to this is Rodgers saying he will retire to host Jeopardy! Well, it worked for Rolf Bernischke (Wheel of Fortune).
Last edited by RRMarshall on Sun May 02, 2021 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Rodgers and the Packers are fine, they just have to finally win it all, or Rodgers will be considered as just the best ever one time champion ... though I prefer Favre, who has one more NFC championship on his resume. Many fans also think of Steve Young, who could have had many rings, had it not been for the Cowboys and Packers ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

People lose perspective on Favre sometimes. Imagine him laying in a hospital with most of his intestines removed. If someone had told him, "Look, youre going to overcome this injury as well as the one to your hip. Youre going to play in the NFL as long as anyone ever has. Youre going to win a SB beating Parcells/Belichick/Bledsoe just 40 miles from where you were born. Then, youre going to beat Steve Young and the 49er to go to back-to-back SBs, losing a heartbreaker, while seeing John Elway and the Broncos win their first".

I think ANYONE would take that career ...
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

The regional sports radio in Minnesota said the Packers will wait until after June 1 for a salary cap calculation reason.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Ah, okay...the salary cap....that's good info....I first thought that if there was going to be a trade to Denver it would happen before the Broncos made their first pick and Green Bay would end up with that pick as part of the deal....

As for McCarthy being fired after two losing seasons -- If I remember right they still could have won out and finished 8-7-1 if they had won out. which oddly would have tied them with Minnesota at 8-7-1 and duplicated the two teams being tied with that exact same record in the late 1970s....although Minnesota won the division that year and it wouldn't have been good enough to make the playoffs in 2018. Just kind of a fun fact. Not debating the point that McCarthy seemed to have lost control of the mindset of the team and underacheived in the last two seasons. I do, however, think that the Sports Illustrated article that came out really created the situation that the new, inexperienced GM felt compelled to make a change immediately, and perhaps based more on public perception of trying to keep Rodgers happy than really having a plan. That's only my own theory however, based on what I've witnessed in watching NFL teams go through cycles of change over the years.

What I meant by it being an irresponsible hire is that you're giving two inexperienced people the keys to a franchise with one of the greatest quarterbacks in history going into a time in his career when a couple of similar standing quarterbacks (Elway, Brady) won Super Bowls. The Packers went with the "trend" or "new line of thinking" and copied the Rams and went that direction. A responsible hire is bringing in a GM and coach with real playoff success, people with significant track records that players are forced to respect, people who know how to handle tricky situations of great players playing out their careers and how to maintain a multi-generational winning franchise as the Packers have done for a long time. Instead, they brought in a couple of young, inexperienced people with literally no NFL playing or coaching experience. Expecting them to properly handle the window closing on one of the best quarterbacks in history is, again in my opinion, highly irresponsible. And really, it's unfair to Rodgers and it's somewhat unfair to the GM and coach who are given a situation that, unless they're both prodigies, they really can't be expected to handle something like that. Rebuilding a team with young talent? Sure, give them a chance. In this situation, bring in someone with longtime NFL experience for both positions.

13-3 is a great regular season record, yes. Getting to the NFC Championship two years in a row -- fantastic. But for those of us who have followed the Packers for a long time, I think it's pretty clear to see the difference between the desire and will of this team compared to those of the teams that won championships for the Packers. Also, the level of the details. Communication is clearly an issue, as is often the case with inexperienced people running the ship. Rodgers is apparently upset because of not being told about the Jordan Love choice and what their plans were. Also, he said that he threw the 3rd down pass at the end of the NFC Championship away because he figured, like a lot of us, that they'd go for it on fourth if they didn't make it.

Expanding this thread a bit, some reporters are speculating that Rodgers might just retire and then later sign with or get a trade to another team later. He wouldn't be the first player to do that. Claude Humphrey did that, I believe. In his "A Football Life" Aikman said he retired in part because he feared his legacy was at stake. He also has said that he almost came back to the Dolphins. Anybody else in that category? I notice someone's already mentioned Rolf Bernischke -- Rodgers could go the game show route as well.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Aikman had to retire. The hits and concussions -especially the hit from LaVar Arrington, which sent him airborn-were just too much and it took forever for him to trust new receivers anyway. Some QBs, like Rodgers or Favre can make any receiver look good but Aikman was basically spoiled with having Irvin and Novachek. Other than tough catches from Kelvin Martin and Alvin Harper for a few seasons, he regressed with anyone else ...
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Brian wolf wrote:Aikman had to retire. The hits and concussions -especially the hit from LaVar Arrington, which sent him airborn-were just too much and it took forever for him to trust new receivers anyway. Some QBs, like Rodgers or Favre can make any receiver look good but Aikman was basically spoiled with having Irvin and Novachek. Other than tough catches from Kelvin Martin and Alvin Harper for a few seasons, he regressed with anyone else ...
Novacek was a huge loss. They never replaced him. They also made a mistake when they passed on Randy Moss. He is the only one who had any hope of keeping their dynasty going at the time.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Had Novachek not been injured in 1996 and played for a few more seasons, he might have made the HOF because he and Aikman were psychic together on the field. Even Irvin was jealous but knew that Jay opened his game as well.

I dont believe Rodgers will be traded but will retire a Packer at least three years down the road.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Yeah, even Aikman has said it wasn't the same after Novacek retired. The neck injury he suffered shortened his career and totally agree he had a solid HOF chance had he played a few more years.

And Aikman of course took some real hits -- the Arrington hit, the Wilber Marshall hit knocked him out for a while. The toll of all that likely also led to his retirement -- often there are multiple reasons for a player hanging up the cleats.

I would love to see Aaron Rodgers retire happily with the Packers after 3 or more years. It was hard watching Favre play for other teams, especially Minnesota of course. But we had Rodgers who, even while Favre was the started, showed signs in preseason and against the Cowboys that he was likely going to be an incredible quarterback. Honestly, I haven't seen enough of Jordan Love to have an opinion on him.

From what I do know about the Packers is that without Aaron Rodgers, they are likely a 6-11 or 5-12 team at best without him, unless Love is immediately an above average quarterback.....

Wow, feels odd to start predicting 17-game season records.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael