Aaron Rodgers

GameBeforeTheMoney

Aaron Rodgers

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

When GB hired LaFleur I said that within a couple of years they'll be trading Rodgers for picks. Especially after Clay Matthews was told "there wasn't any room" for him on the team anymore.

I based my projection on the theory that coaches usually want their own era with their own quarterback. The only established star quarterback and new coach combo that I can think of that lasted is Unitas and Shula (and that wasn't necessarily a happy marriage).

Can you think of any others?
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
RyanChristiansen

Re: Aaron Rodgers

Post by RyanChristiansen »

It depends on what you mean by "established quarterback." If you just mean experienced, the Tarkenton-Grant marriage turned out pretty good.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Apbaball

Post by Apbaball »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:When GB hired LaFleur I said that within a couple of years they'll be trading Rodgers for picks. Especially after Clay Matthews was told "there wasn't any room" for him on the team anymore.

I based my projection on the theory that coaches usually want their own era with their own quarterback. The only established star quarterback and new coach combo that I can think of that lasted is Unitas and Shula (and that wasn't necessarily a happy marriage).

Can you think of any others?
I may be wrong but I don't think this is about LaFleur wanting his own QB. Rodgers hasn't gotten over the slight of the drafting of Love and refuses to understand the Packers view point. If he thinks the Packers supporting cast wasn't strong enough, wait until he plays for Denver. It also sounds like he is unhappy with his contract. I know you can do a little of robbing Peter to pay Paul with these contracts, but I can't see how Rodgers making more money helps them pay for other players.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:When GB hired LaFleur I said that within a couple of years they'll be trading Rodgers for picks. Especially after Clay Matthews was told "there wasn't any room" for him on the team anymore.
That sounds like it could happen at this point, but it won't be until after June 1st:

https://twitter.com/EricGoodman/status/ ... 1784498181
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Apbaball wrote:I may be wrong but I don't think this is about LaFleur wanting his own QB. Rodgers hasn't gotten over the slight of the drafting of Love and refuses to understand the Packers view point. If he thinks the Packers supporting cast wasn't strong enough, wait until he plays for Denver. It also sounds like he is unhappy with his contract. I know you can do a little of robbing Peter to pay Paul with these contracts, but I can't see how Rodgers making more money helps them pay for other players.
This is my understanding. Of course Rodgers can call his shots, he will find takers.

These situations are all different. Tarkenton fell out in both his first Vikings stint (both he and Van Brocklin left) and in New York. He was still a prima donna when he came back to Minnesota, but the Vikings needed offense talent and Tarkenton needed to get to the playoffs, so they made it work.

Here, I don't know what the Packers do. LaFleur improved the offense, made Rodgers better. But yeah, Rodgers' old buddies are all gone, and that can be a management issue in any workplace. Ted Thompson is dead, and McCarthy and Matthews aren't on the sunny side of the slope.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Given this some thought....Elway stayed in Denver, but of course he had a history with Shannahan. Aikman stayed in Dallas but that also was a different situation. Haven't been able to think of any others....I guess Starr stayed for the end of his career in Green Bay with Phil Bengston but he was promoted from within.

Agreed that now with Thompson/McCarthy no longer with the team, Rodgers seemed to be the next to go, whether the Packers are saying it or not. (at least from my observations).....

Lafleur is only a few years older than Rodgers, doesn't have much experience, and this is his first head coaching job. That's really not a very good combination, especially when you've got a young GM in his first job.

I don't really blame Rodgers at all. Neither Lafleur nor Gutekunst were responsible hires based on where that team was at when they took over, (IMO). Perhaps they'll grow into the job and have great careers, but why should Rodgers sit around waiting for that to happen?
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:I don't really blame Rodgers at all. Neither Lafleur nor Gutekunst were responsible hires based on where that team was at when they took over, (IMO). Perhaps they'll grow into the job and have great careers, but why should Rodgers sit around waiting for that to happen?
Eh?

They had two losing seasons before they took over. That's why the other guys got fired. You have Aaron Rodgers, you have losing seasons, you get fired. The new guys go 13-3 twice in a row, NFC Championship game twice in a row. Can you do better? Sure, you can win the Super Bowl. You can do a whole hell of a lot worse. Like 6-9-1, the 2018 Packers record. What do they need to grow into?
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Has a reigning MVP ever been traded? The closest I can find is John Hadl, who was the 1973 NFC Player of the Year and was dealt in the middle of the following season.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

To turn the question on its head: How often has a coach with a well-established QB been fired?
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:Given this some thought....Elway stayed in Denver, but of course he had a history with Shannahan. Aikman stayed in Dallas but that also was a different situation. Haven't been able to think of any others....I guess Starr stayed for the end of his career in Green Bay with Phil Bengston but he was promoted from within.

Agreed that now with Thompson/McCarthy no longer with the team, Rodgers seemed to be the next to go, whether the Packers are saying it or not. (at least from my observations).....

Lafleur is only a few years older than Rodgers, doesn't have much experience, and this is his first head coaching job. That's really not a very good combination, especially when you've got a young GM in his first job.

I don't really blame Rodgers at all. Neither Lafleur nor Gutekunst were responsible hires based on where that team was at when they took over, (IMO). Perhaps they'll grow into the job and have great careers, but why should Rodgers sit around waiting for that to happen?
I don't understand how you came to that conclusion and I'd love to know the reasoning behind itl

As a Packer fan, I was very doubtful about the LaFleur hiring, but his back-to-back 13-3 regular-season records after two losing seasons have convinced me he was a good choice. Running LaFleur's offense, the Packers led the NFL in scoring last season. How is his hiring "not responsible"?

As for Gutekunst, he had a very solid resume and worked in the Packers' organization for nearly 20 years before becoming GM. I have questioned a few of his decisions (what fan hasn't question some decisions by his team's GM), but I don't see how his hiring was not responsible.