Evans record finally tied

Wendell02

Evans record finally tied

Post by Wendell02 »

It took 72 years and a day, but Fred (Dippy) Evans record of two fumble returns for touchdowns in a game has been tied. Evans did it against Washington on 11/28/1948. Today Carolina's Jeremy Chinn did it against Minnesota.
Gary Najman

Re: Evans record finally tied

Post by Gary Najman »

Chinn's returns were on consecutive plays from the line of scrimmage. It kind of reminds me of Dave Hampton's two fumbles on straight plays in the classic 1971 Packers-Giants game that were recovered by the Giants in the endzone for touchdowns. I haven't seen highlights of that game, but I believe that Hampton's first fumble was on a rushing play and the second fumble was on the kickoff afterwards. Is this correct?
JWL

Post by JWL »

That is correct. Ralph Heck recovered Hampton's fumble on a handoff. Hampton then fumbled on the ensuing kickoff and Joe Green recovered the fumble in the end zone. Suddenly, a 14-14 game became a 28-14 game moments before the first half ended.
65 toss power trap

Post by 65 toss power trap »

Technically Hampton never fumbled the kickoff, because he never had possession of it. It bounced behind and between both receivers, then he muffed a recovery attempt, finally recovered by Green in the end zone.

It's football's version of the unassisted triple play: a kickoff recovered by the kicking team for a touchdown.

http://www.quirkyresearch.com/2018/12/0 ... touchdown/