What will the Redskins new name be?

JWL

Re: What will the Redskins new name be?

Post by JWL »

JohnR wrote:"Redskins" was an old self-identifying term used by Native Americans. I've seen documentation to prove it. They also used the name "whiteskins" for those of European ancestry. I don't buy the notion that it's the equivalent of calling someone a "kike". "Redskins" may be an antiquated term like "negro", but nobody claims "negro" was intended as a slight.

I kinda like the name "Redtails" being floated about.
I think it blows especially since one of the fan created Redtail logos showed a black guy. The team needs to get away from a type of person here whether it be in the actual name or a name that would lead to a primary or secondary logo having a guy in it.
JWL

Post by JWL »

SixtiesFan wrote: I've worked among black males, sometimes I was the only white person among seven or eight black guys. The language they use among themselves would take the bark off a tree. It's funny how delicate about language they purport themselves to be.

By the way, they were nice to me. They were impressed by my knowledge of sports history, football in particular. I was always answering questions from my black co-workers about sports.

Language can be bad in many different groups. Curse words can happen if you put eight white guys together. Sometimes when a group has a dominant figure who curses, the others join in no matter what race or races are involved. In my experiences, I cannot say blacks curse more than whites or whites curse more than blacks.
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

[/quote]

I've worked among black males, sometimes I was the only white person among seven or eight black guys. The language they use among themselves would take the bark off a tree. It's funny how delicate about language they purport themselves to be.

By the way, they were nice to me. They were impressed by my knowledge of sports history, football in particular. I was always answering questions from my black co-workers about sports.[/quote]

I've been a Redskins fan all my life and grew up in the D.C. area. I also spent 20+ years in the U.S. Air Force and I'm also a black man. Funny that you mention the language that you heard because I had the opposite of your experience. During a lot of my Air Force assignments I would be the only "black guy" among many whites and I used to wonder "why do these guys cuss so much?" Every other word was a F bomb. So I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

If the Washington Redskins had a lot of Native Americans playing on the team than them calling themselves the Redskins would probably be ok. But given the fact that American Football played at a high level is often 99% African Americans and Caucasions it is pretty racist. I'd say if any team wants to keep the name Redskins than they should be 'mandated' to have a certain percentage of their roster be Native American. If they don't want to do that then change the name.
Oszuscik

Post by Oszuscik »

I don't love it, but I'm coming around to changing the name to the Washington Hogs. It's a nod to the franchise's glory years, which feels like a way to help preserve team history and the connection to it while eliminating the controversial Redskins name. You can keep the same colors as well, just change the logo. A complete reboot, like with the Oilers/Titans, would be a shame. You more or less have a reset expansion team at that point. And I can't imagine just changing the name to the Washington Braves or the Washington Warriors would be "far enough".

Washington Hogs!
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Oszuscik wrote:I don't love it, but I'm coming around to changing the name to the Washington Hogs. It's a nod to the franchise's glory years, which feels like a way to help preserve team history and the connection to it while eliminating the controversial Redskins name. You can keep the same colors as well, just change the logo. A complete reboot, like with the Oilers/Titans, would be a shame. You more or less have a reset expansion team at that point. And I can't imagine just changing the name to the Washington Braves or the Washington Warriors would be "far enough".

Washington Hogs!
That would be like the Browns changing their name to Dawgs, using a marketing gimmick from the 80's to hype a team in 2020 and beyond.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

nicefellow31 wrote:
I've worked among black males, sometimes I was the only white person among seven or eight black guys. The language they use among themselves would take the bark off a tree. It's funny how delicate about language they purport themselves to be.

By the way, they were nice to me. They were impressed by my knowledge of sports history, football in particular. I was always answering questions from my black co-workers about sports.[/quote]

I've been a Redskins fan all my life and grew up in the D.C. area. I also spent 20+ years in the U.S. Air Force and I'm also a black man. Funny that you mention the language that you heard because I had the opposite of your experience. During a lot of my Air Force assignments I would be the only "black guy" among many whites and I used to wonder "why do these guys cuss so much?" Every other word was a F bomb. So I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.[/quote]

"So I'm not sure what point you are trying to make."

The point I was making was the irony of blacks claiming to be "offended" by bad language when they use it so freely themselves. Nobody said white men don't use bad language.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

JWL wrote:
JohnR wrote:"Redskins" was an old self-identifying term used by Native Americans. I've seen documentation to prove it. They also used the name "whiteskins" for those of European ancestry. I don't buy the notion that it's the equivalent of calling someone a "kike". "Redskins" may be an antiquated term like "negro", but nobody claims "negro" was intended as a slight.

I kinda like the name "Redtails" being floated about.
I think it blows especially since one of the fan created Redtail logos showed a black guy. The team needs to get away from a type of person here whether it be in the actual name or a name that would lead to a primary or secondary logo having a guy in it.

So maybe some fan had a dumb graphics concept. Does that mean you dismiss the whole idea? Tuskegee training was a racially integrated effort. What if the descendants of the Tuskegee airmen (or living members) issued a letter backing the idea? Are you gonna say "Nu-uh, no you don't". This name would be in the same vein as the Blue Bombers or Ironbirds. I haven't looked into who proposed it, I just thought it would be a cool name.
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

SixtiesFan wrote:
nicefellow31 wrote:

By the way, they were nice to me. They were impressed by my knowledge of sports history, football in particular. I was always answering questions from my black co-workers about sports.
I've been a Redskins fan all my life and grew up in the D.C. area. I also spent 20+ years in the U.S. Air Force and I'm also a black man. Funny that you mention the language that you heard because I had the opposite of your experience. During a lot of my Air Force assignments I would be the only "black guy" among many whites and I used to wonder "why do these guys cuss so much?" Every other word was a F bomb. So I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.[/quote]

"So I'm not sure what point you are trying to make."

The point I was making was the irony of blacks claiming to be "offended" by bad language when they use it so freely themselves. Nobody said white men don't use bad language.[/quote]

You mean to tell me that you think that all blacks think alike? No difference in opinions? That all of us claim to be "offended" by bad language? Seems like you can be offended by slur words while at the same time using profanity. I have further question I'd like to ask but this isn't the forum for this so I'm going to bow out. BTW, if you met me, and we may have already, I'd be nice to you too.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

RyanChristiansen wrote:The first documented use of the word "redskin" was by the Santee chief French Crow in 1812. He said, "I am a red-skin, but what I say is the truth." Clearly, the term is derogatory and diminishing, and the chief had to ask his audience to look past the color of his skin.
It could be only that he was emphasizing that they needed to look past his skin and hear the validity of his argument. He's not saying "I am a a lowly being". What if he had said, "I am Native-American, but what I say is the truth". That doesn't mean Native-American is derogatory. It just suggests he understands the mindset of those who he is addressing.