Post by oldecapecod11 »

Chiefs fans set noise record Started by Wendell021
Started by Wendell021, Oct 01 2014 12:53 AM

Archive

9 replies to this topic

#1 Wendell021
PFRA Member
Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:53 AM
In the 1st half of the Kansas City-New England game, Chiefs fans set a Guinness World Record with a roar of 142.2 decibels (dB), breaking the outdoor sports venue record of 137.6 dB set by the Seahawks fans last season. Chiefs Coach Andy Reid said after the game, "My ears are still ringing."

According to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), here are dB levels for various noises:

Normal conversation at 3 feet-60 dB
Train whistle at 500 feet-90 dB
Lawn mower at 3 feet-107 dB
Rock concert-115 dB (unless its Ted Nugent, then add 20%)
Jet engine at 100 feet-140 dB
12-gauge shotgun blast-165 dB
Loudest possible sound-194 dB (I guess this would be the Krakatoa volcano eruption of 1883?)

#2 evan
PFRA Member
Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:15 AM
Just a hunch, but if they had a noise meter back on Jan. 2, 1982 in the Orange Bowl right at the point where Tony Nathan caught the lateral from Duriel Harris, that might have set the noise record for eternity. I wasn't there, but just listening to the crowd surge in the TV broadcast is overwhelming.

#3 oldecapecod 11
PFRA Member
Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:05 AM
Also just a hunch but I would bet there was a point during these games when the noise meter might not have registered at all.
Chicago Bears 34 @ CHICAGO CARDINALS 24
Brooklyn Dodgers 21 @ NEW YORK GIANTS 7
WASHINGTON REDSKINS 20 v. Philadelphia Eagles 14

#4 Mark L. Ford
Administrators
Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:11 PM
Not to mention just about any Tennessee Oilers home game in Memphis in 1997...
Does anyone know where the sensors for the sound-meters are placed in NFL stadiums? My first guess would be near the scoreboards, since that's where the display is shown, but I don't suppose that there are any standards. In the case of Arrowhead, that would be near that George Jetson oval scoreboard above the end zone seats on the southeast side.

#5 conace21
Forum Visitors
Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:57 PM
The last two Redskins games in Boston in 1936. Pro Football Archives says only 4100 fans came out to watch the Redskins beat the Dodgers 30-6, and only 4800 fans saw Boston defeat Pittsburgh 30-0 to clinch the division title. However, the last home game may have been the quietest, because rumors were already abounding that Marshall was looking to move the team. (PFR says there were 7000 in attendance at the Pirates game, but that may just be going off ticket sales as opposed to actual spectators.)

And the Oilers' home games were just as quiet in 1996 in Houston as they were a year later in Memphis.

#6 Mark L. Ford
Administrators
Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:21 PM
Offhand, does anyone know whether he moved the championship game from Boston to New York right after that division win? I don't know the story about when that decision was made, although I note that the week after the Redskins played Pittsburgh, he played the Redskins' scheduled away game against the Giants at the Polo Grounds.I'm sure that the Boston sportswriters had choice words to say about Marshall for that-- it would make a good story for anyone who has access to the papers of the era.

#7 conace21
Forum Visitors
Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:03 PM
Pro Football Chronicle had a story about the move. It is relatively sympathetic to George Preston Marshall, saying he raised ticket prices in 1936, but made moves to increase the team's talent level, and Boston fans responded with a yawn. I think he was planning to move as the season progressed. Before either the Dodgers game or Pirates game, a league official looked out at the sparse crowd before an an important game and agreed that Marshall was justified in his complaints about the lack of support. Marshall kept quiet publicly after the game, and didn't formally announce the plans to move until the day after the championship game.
The PFC story also noted that Marshall publicly claimed he was moving the game to MY because the brutal Boston weather could affect ticket sales, and it wouldn't be fair to the players, whose bonus was tied to ticket sales. A Boston columnist cracked on GPM for that excuse, noting the only palms in NYC were those of ticket takers.

#8 74_75_78_79_
Forum Visitors
Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:37 PM
Mark L. Ford, on 01 Oct 2014 - 1:11 PM, said:
Not to mention just about any Tennessee Oilers home game in Memphis in 1997...

Hey.....(and lol also to your '96 Oilers quote conace21), it did build character, I guess, in time for their '99 SB and also '00 'should-have-won-it-all' runs. I know this is a pro football forum but I was at a Penn St 'white-out' game vs Illinois in '08 (felt like a college kid again)! 100,000+ strong! 3rd biggest city in PA each game-time! I wonder how that turned out on the 'meter'?

Fully aware of the ridiculous passion of Chiefs fans. Heard many great things about the fan/tailgate game experience first-hand at Arrowhead and would love to partake, but many significant games (particularly '90s playoff games) in which it sadly wasn't enough, nor '03 vs playoff-winless-Manning's Colts, and what not. Heck, I remember in January '98, before attending the (Carroll)Pats/Steelers(Cowher) divisional, me and a fellow-Steeler-fan both agreeing that we'd rather play at KC in the AFCC then home vs Denver.

#9 conace21
Forum Visitors
Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:22 PM
It was night and day between the crowds in 1996/97, and in 1999. I'm a Buffalo fan, and one of the big arguments around Buffalo was Wade Phillips' decision to bench Doug Flutie for Rob Johnson in the 1999 wild card game at Adelphia. A lot of back and forth on it, but my argument for why it was a bad decision takes the Tenn crowds as a factor.
Rob Johnson could make the throws Doug Flutie couldn't, and didn't too often in 1999. However, the Titans had a fearsome pass (Jevon Kearse 1999 was a pro version of J Clowney circa 2012,) and the Bills' offensive line was banged up. Flutie was superb at avoiding the pass rush and making plays on the move. Johnson had great mobility and lacked the clock in his head that told him when to get rid of the ball.
ALSO, the Titans were undefeated at home in 1999, and this was Tennesee's first playoff game, so it figured to be a loud and active crowd. If the banged up Bills' offensive line wasn't already at a disadvantage, there was the potential for major disorganization; it would be very difficult to hear the snap counts. It didn't take a genius to predict this before the fact. The experienced Flutie figured to be better at managing the offense under difficult circumstances, and also at evading any pass rushers that got a half step on the offensive line.

So Buffalo went with Rob Johnson, and what happened? Kearse badly beat injured LT John Fina to blindside Johnson, who had no idea he was coming. Fumble, recovered by Titans. They missed a FG, so it didn't lead to any points, but I imagined it fired up the crowd even more. Two possessions later, with the crowd going wild, Johnson struggled to get the team lined up properly. He promptly fumbled the snap and struggled to recover it. Kearse blew by hobbled tackle Marcus Spriggs (who may have been a bit late off the snap) to sack Johnson, and force a fumble for a safety. The Titans scored after a TD after a long return on the free kick. Considering how much the Titans offense was shut down that game, the safety and TD it led to were huge. I think the 12th man was huge in that game.

#10 lastcat3
Forum Visitors
Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:44 PM
To be honest I am always a lot more impressed with fan enthusiasm at a college game than I am at pro games. Have been to several Chiefs games and even though it is considered one of the top atmosphere's in pro football it still seems that a good portion of the fans even there are more concerned about waving down the beer man or getting some food then they are in what is going on in the game. I can't believe some people spend all that money to go to the game and then spend half the game waiting in line either getting more beer or more food.

I'm sure that stuff still happens at college games as well but it seems that a much larger percentage of people who go to a college game are a lot more concerned about the actual game.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister