NFL 100 All-Time Team

JWL

Re: NFL 100 All-Time Team

Post by JWL »

paulksandiego wrote:
JameisLoseston wrote:Missed Gronk, who has exactly 0% chance of getting passed over, especially if there's 5 TE. Marino? Don't see much chance of him missing either. Derrick Brooks was an ILB. I'll try this out tomorrow.
Derrick Brooks was NOT an ILB.
Yes, he was a great outside linebacker and has a good shot to make this team
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

@ChrisBabcock Nice list - I have Joe Perry on mine too (still working on it) - he never shows up on these things.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

I like Perry too, but I think I'd select Jim Taylor before him.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

paulksandiego wrote:
JameisLoseston wrote:Missed Gronk, who has exactly 0% chance of getting passed over, especially if there's 5 TE. Marino? Don't see much chance of him missing either. Derrick Brooks was an ILB. I'll try this out tomorrow.
Derrick Brooks was NOT an ILB.
But Bednarik was an OLB....
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... dnCh00.htm

One could nit-pick any list... perhaps a better use of time would be to compile one's own list and then compile a consensus (no, I am not volunteering).
I was kind of surprised to see that of the three Raiders all-pro linemen of the 70's only Upshaw made that list (no Shell or Otto) but on the whole a very good effort (and far more than I've done).
Nicely done, Chris.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Wow, lifelong bucs fan here, and never thought twice about the notion that Derrick was our Mike. Today I learned.

Attempt at a team (chronological order), plus top 3 at each position:

QB: Friedman, Baugh, Graham (3), Unitas, Montana, Marino (2), Favre, P. Manning, Brady (1), Brees
RB: Van Buren, Motley, Moore, J. Brown (1), OJ, Payton (3), Dickerson, E. Smith, B. Sanders (2), Faulk, LT, AP
WR: Hutson (2), Hirsch, Berry, Alworth, Maynard, Largent, Rice (1), Moss (3), TO, Megatron
TE: Pihos (3), Winslow, Sharpe, Gonzalez (2), Gronk (1)
OT: Hubbard, Groza, Gregg (3), Munoz (1), W. Jones, Pace (2), Ogden
OG: Fortmann, J. Parker (3), Upshaw, Hannah (2), B. Matthews (1), McDaniel, Shields
C: Hein (1), Otto, Webster (2), Stephenson (3)
DE: Robustelli, Marchetti, Deacon (2), Doleman, R. White (1), B. Smith (3), Watt
DT: Nomellini, Lilly, Olsen (3), Page (1), Greene (2), R. White, Donald
ILB: Bednarik (3), Butkus (2), Nitschke, Lambert, Singletary, Lewis (1)
OLB: Hendricks, Bell, Ham (3), LT (1), D. Thomas, Brooks (2)
CB: Lane (1), Blount (3), Deion (2), D. Green, R. Woodson, C. Woodson, Revis
S: Tunnell (3), Christiansen, Krause, Houston, Lott (1), Reed (2)
K: Stenerud, Vinatieri
P: Guy, Lechler
KR/PR: Hester, Sayers
Last edited by JameisLoseston on Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JameisLoseston wrote: DE: Robustelli, Marchetti, Deacon (2), Doleman, R. White (1), B. Smith (3), Watt
Doleman and Robustelli?

Interesting
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ltime-team

NFL.com has released the 24 finalists for the 12 running back positions on the all-time team:

In alphabetical order:

Marcus Allen
Jerome Bettis
Jim Brown
Earl Campbell
Dutch Clark
Eric Dickerson
Tony Dorsett
Marshall Faulk
Red Grange
Franco Harris
Hugh McElhenny
Lenny Moore
Marion Motley
Bronko Nagurski
Walter Payton
Adrian Peterson
Barry Sanders
Gale Sayers
OJ Simpson
Emmitt Smith
Jim Taylor
Thurman Thomas
LaDainian Tomlinson
Steve Van Buren
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

JohnTurney wrote:
JameisLoseston wrote: DE: Robustelli, Marchetti, Deacon (2), Doleman, R. White (1), B. Smith (3), Watt
Doleman and Robustelli?

Interesting
This position I had the hardest time at. There really only are 5 truly great DEs. I picked Doleman because he's high on the sacks list, was versatile doing a good job against the run, and his 20 sack season is one of the best of that category. Robustelli was a coin flip with 3 other guys from that era, I'd be more qualified to pick that one if someone had sack numbers from the 50s to share. In the absence of those, replace him with Peppers maybe?
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JameisLoseston wrote:
This position I had the hardest time at. There really only are 5 truly great DEs. I picked Doleman because he's high on the sacks list, was versatile doing a good job against the run, and his 20 sack season is one of the best of that category. Robustelli was a coin flip with 3 other guys from that era, I'd be more qualified to pick that one if someone had sack numbers from the 50s to share. In the absence of those, replace him with Peppers maybe?
My thoughts are here. Certainly, reasonable people will have differences...
4-3 ends
https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com ... story.html

3-4 ends
https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com ... n-nfl.html
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

JohnTurney wrote:My thoughts are here. Certainly, reasonable people will have differences...
4-3 ends
https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com ... story.html

3-4 ends
https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com ... n-nfl.html
Love your stuff John. It really is just personal preference after the big 5 greats. One thing you mentioned is that Len Ford had "one of the 2-3 best seasons ever by a DE" in 1951, but no mention at all of what he actually did. Would be very interested to hear more about this. The two best DE seasons are undoubtedly White in 1987 and Watt in 2014, was Ford that good?