Antonio Brown and the mess the Raiders have gotten into

lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Wow this is pretty crazy. Word is coming out that the Raiders plan on suspending AB before he even plays a single regular season game for them. Given everything that the Raiders have tied into him do you think this could set a precedent that teams will stop giving top notch money to players with off the field issues no matter how good they are?
BD Sullivan

Re: Antonio Brown and the mess the Raiders have gotten into

Post by BD Sullivan »

lastcat3 wrote:Wow this is pretty crazy. Word is coming out that the Raiders plan on suspending AB before he even plays a single regular season game for them. Given everything that the Raiders have tied into him do you think this could set a precedent that teams will stop giving top notch money to players with off the field issues no matter how good they are?
It's not as if Brown didn't act like a jackass before this. Gruden and his huge ego figured he'd be able to deal with the drama queen idiocy, but then this kind of allure has always been around and teams should already know what they're walking into. If Josh Gordon could have stayed away from pot, he'd probably be on a direct path to the HOF.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

BD Sullivan wrote:
lastcat3 wrote:Wow this is pretty crazy. Word is coming out that the Raiders plan on suspending AB before he even plays a single regular season game for them. Given everything that the Raiders have tied into him do you think this could set a precedent that teams will stop giving top notch money to players with off the field issues no matter how good they are?
It's not as if Brown didn't act like a jackass before this. Gruden and his huge ego figured he'd be able to deal with the drama queen idiocy, but then this kind of allure has always been around and teams should already know what they're walking into. If Josh Gordon could have stayed away from pot, he'd probably be on a direct path to the HOF.
Or, if the NFL was reasonable. Gordon didn't deserve to be suspended that much.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

7DnBrnc53 wrote: Or, if the NFL was reasonable. Gordon didn't deserve to be suspended that much.
Ain't that the truth...

There is word on NFL.com that the Raiders may try to withdraw the "guaranteed" money in Brown's contract.
Apparently bonuses are dependent on behavior and he has violated (in the Raiders' opinion) clauses in his contract allowing them to void the whole thing.
It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... om-raiders
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Like I already opined...he's the 3rd-best-WR-ever. Again, just an opinion. Could very well be wrong, especially when names like Warfield, Alworth, etc, were thrown at me by this very site hence more knowledgeable football people than I. But, still, I just couldn't help but to feel this way (and it has nothing to do with any Steeler-fandom).

Jerry Rice, one who doesn't throw love for modern-day WRs all too easily, definitely had a noticeable liking for him and wanted him to sign up with San Fran. Not conceited, Rice didn't actually dispute the 'crown' the NFL Network gave him as #1 player ever. He pointed at his work ethic/practice regimen as a reason why he feels he should at least be considered for such a feet. He didn't get along with Deion Sanders because of their contrasting attitudes prior to SBXXIX - Prime Time buying a car and throwing a party in town week leading up while Rice was super-serious and wanting him to be just that as well; Deion responding (paraphrasing), "Take it easy, Jerry. We're just having fun. We're going to kill SD! Don't

Just AB's body-of-work up through '18! What he did on the field and his work-ethic/training behind it! Apparently it looks as if Steelers let him go at the right time but what DID bring this behavior on in the first place? Hard to fathom he not knowing just how good he had it in the 'Burgh! Trading in Big Ben for Carr? A competitor for a team in (moving to a new city yet again) turmoil?
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

I seriously wonder if that Vontaze Burfict Hit a couple years back knocked his last screw loose. His behavior is so bizarre, it almost seems like it has to be CTE. We're it the 70's or 80's I'd assume cocaine.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Like I already opined...he's the 3rd-best-WR-ever. Again, just an opinion.
Did you factor the catching gloves into consideration? Would Brown be as great a receiver without the sticky gloves as Alworth or Warfield? We don't really know that nor will we ever know that. I have to dock any contemporary receiver, and they all use them; come to think of it, who was the last receiver to do it bare-handed?

Also, I think the attitude does play a role. it is a team game and I think being able to get along with your teammates does play a role, and this is why I don't think a Terrell Owens is one of the 20 greatest receivers of all time. How good is a receiver if his antics tear his teams apart?

It looks like Brown may have reached the point in his career that a lot of these prima-donna types like Moss and Owens reached, where they start moving from team to team every one to three years when they wear until their welcomes. I believe Gruden and Mayock made a mistake letting him return to the team, they should have cut their losses and released him. The Brown saga is far from over, it is going to continue until Brown and or Gruden are gone, and he will not have the kind of season the Raiders were banking on.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
James

Post by James »

The Raiders just released Brown. I'm guessing no team will sign this jackass, but I could be wrong.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

James wrote:The Raiders just released Brown. I'm guessing no team will sign this jackass, but I could be wrong.
Somebody will sign him, but they'll have to pay his salary. I don't know who has available cap room and wants to take him on.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
James

Post by James »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
James wrote:The Raiders just released Brown. I'm guessing no team will sign this jackass, but I could be wrong.
Somebody will sign him, but they'll have to pay his salary. I don't know who has available cap room and wants to take him on.
You're probably right, Rupert. I think if a team does sign him, they'll regret it. So, I have a question. Since he didn't play at all with the Raiders, and then the Raiders released him, does he get any money from the Raiders or does he not get anything?
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!