"Pure Passer"

Ronfitch

Re: "Pure Passer"

Post by Ronfitch »

Bryan wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:A "pure passer" is almost like an NFL QB archetype...the guy who can't run, throws spirals, is stuck on a team with a bad defense, and doesn't have a Super Bowl ring.
Lynn Dickey with the Packers after the broken leg in '77 (which sidelined him for two full calendar years, which was after the dislocated and broken hip earlier in his career).

Check. Check. Check. And checkmate.

Seriously, they guy threw a great pass.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

There’s an interesting article in The Athletic (subscription required) about Kirk Cousins being a perfect passer, but he’s TOO PERFECT and it’s the reason defenders can bat so many of his passes at the line.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

RyanChristiansen wrote:There’s an interesting article in The Athletic (subscription required) about Kirk Cousins being a perfect passer, but he’s TOO PERFECT and it’s the reason defenders can bat so many of his passes at the line.
The Athletic is a terrific site. Well worth the subscription. I'll check out the article later but I wouldn't put Cousins in the tier of perfect passer. The arm strength is not top notch. Merely average

Have to say while I despise Michael Vick he made many a beautiful throw in his career. He had such a smooth and easy release and the ball came out of there in a tight spiral with great velocity
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Have to say while I despise Michael Vick he made many a beautiful throw in his career. He had such a smooth and easy release and the ball came out of there in a tight spiral with great velocity
I definitely agree with all of the above. However his accuracy was never that great. I have memories of Alge Crumpler desperately reaching for balls zipping over his head.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
I definitely agree with all of the above. However his accuracy was never that great. I have memories of Alge Crumpler desperately reaching for balls zipping over his head.
Spot on. He had his issues in the pocket. Happy feet, ball security, and an inability to see the field as well and plays develop the same way taller QB's would (I believe he was a shade under 6'0) But when everything came together for him in a throw it was a thing of beauty
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

sheajets wrote:The Athletic is a terrific site. Well worth the subscription.
The Athletic is particularly good when it comes to hockey.

Site as a whole reminds me of high school days when sports sites wrote articles about sports, as opposed to conjuring up a controversy of the day.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I agree with the definitions presented regarding a pure passer. Though how about a player who is strictly a passing QB? Not one at all who can scramble or run. Or would that be more of a pocket passer?
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

It's funny but I always thought they came up with the term "pure passer" just to describe what Sonny Jurgensen could do with a football. Back in the late 1960s NFL Films did a feature on the top QBs in the NFL and they featured Jurgensen making all kinds of throws including snapping the ball behind his back and throwing a 40-yard perfect spiral downfield. He is never mentioned in the list of top all-time QBs today I imagine because his lack of a postseason pedigree. For some reason George Allen did not like him and preferred Billy Kilmer. A friend of mine got to meet him once and found him the genuine article.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

RRMarshall wrote:It's funny but I always thought they came up with the term "pure passer" just to describe what Sonny Jurgensen could do with a football. Back in the late 1960s NFL Films did a feature on the top QBs in the NFL and they featured Jurgensen making all kinds of throws including snapping the ball behind his back and throwing a 40-yard perfect spiral downfield. He is never mentioned in the list of top all-time QBs today I imagine because his lack of a postseason pedigree. For some reason George Allen did not like him and preferred Billy Kilmer. A friend of mine got to meet him once and found him the genuine article.
Yes, I think the term "pure passer" was invented for Sonny Jurgensen in the 1960's. You would read magazine articles saying that while Unitas and Starr were the best QBs in the NFL, Sonny Jurgensen was the best "pure passer."

In the Redskins 1972 Super Bowl season, Jurgensen started weeks 4-6 doing very well and the Redskins winning all three games, last one over the Cowboys. In week 7, Jurgensen had a broken bone and couldn't play the rest of the year. Had he stayed healthy, played and won Super Bowl VII, Sonny Jurgensen would be much higher rated historically.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

SixtiesFan wrote:In week 7, Jurgensen had a broken bone and couldn't play the rest of the year. Had he stayed healthy, played and won Super Bowl VII, Sonny Jurgensen would be much higher rated historically.
As would George Allen and about a half-dozen other guys...