Thoughts on '90 NYG@SF MNF and upcoming KC@Rams

Rupert Patrick

Re: Thoughts on '90 NYG@SF MNF and upcoming KC@Rams

Post by Rupert Patrick »

RRMarshall wrote:Any chance this game breaks the all-time MNF record for points set by the 1983 Wash-GB game??
Looks like you nailed this one. The 105 points by both teams is now the third most of any game of all time behind the 113 between Giants and Redskins 1966 and the 106 between Browns and Bengals 2004. The 51 points scored by the Chiefs assures a record of the most points scored by a losing team ever, breaking the record of 49 by two teams, both in 52-49 games.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

This was a far more interesting game than the Eagles-Pats LII Super Bowl. Lots of variety, defensive TDs. Costly punt return by Hill when the Chiefs only needed 3 to tie.

Whereas the Super Bowl was a lot of open check downs against teams that had one successful pass rush the whole game.

Further, it's now virtually a lock that the Super Bowl... will be won by the Saints.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Jay Z wrote:This was a far more interesting game than the Eagles-Pats LII Super Bowl. Lots of variety, defensive TDs. Costly punt return by Hill when the Chiefs only needed 3 to tie.

Whereas the Super Bowl was a lot of open check downs against teams that had one successful pass rush the whole game.

Further, it's now virtually a lock that the Super Bowl... will be won by the Saints.
Seeing highlights upon coming back home from work...it clearly looks that way, this game being far more intersting than SBLII! A ridiculously high-scoring game as actually advertised, but defense still playing quite a role thus enabling the final to be what it was at 105-combined. I definitely want to see the replay. I'm guessing it's the best high-scoring game ever. It seemed like something quite special.

Yes...Saints looking quite scary! But in all likelihood they'll have to play the Rams again. And considering their not-exactly-lopsided affair a few weeks back, it very likely won't be a shoe-in for them.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:....A ridiculously high-scoring game as actually advertised, but defense still playing quite a role thus enabling the final to be what it was at 105-combined....
I am wondering if this might not be the future of "good" defense.

Gone are the days when a defense can dominate a game and hold a team to two or three productive possessions.
Now a "good" defense is one that can make a couple of stops and perhaps contribute a big play or two (or three).
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Between the uniforms and the final score, this game made Arena Football look dignified.
Apbaball

Post by Apbaball »

RRMarshall wrote:The upcoming Chiefs-Rams prime time event will be the first MNF game I will watch from start to finish in over a decade. They are advertising it as a match up of Mahomes vs Gurley but IMO it is the Rams QB Jared Goff that may very well decide the game. The Chiefs secondary is horrid and if they load up the front to stop Gurley it could be bombs away all night long...Any chance this game breaks the all-time MNF record for points set by the 1983 Wash-GB game??
Good call.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
Jay Z wrote:This was a far more interesting game than the Eagles-Pats LII Super Bowl. Lots of variety, defensive TDs. Costly punt return by Hill when the Chiefs only needed 3 to tie.

Seeing highlights upon coming back home from work...it clearly looks that way, this game being far more intersting than SBLII! A ridiculously high-scoring game as actually advertised, but defense still playing quite a role thus enabling the final to be what it was at 105-combined. I definitely want to see the replay. I'm guessing it's the best high-scoring game ever. It seemed like something quite special.

Yes...Saints looking quite scary! But in all likelihood they'll have to play the Rams again. And considering their not-exactly-lopsided affair a few weeks back, it very likely won't be a shoe-in for them.
Hard to see anyone coming out of the NFC but Saints/Rams. Saints have HFA right now, hard to pick against them in a dome.

Only thing going against them is they were last in the SB in 2009. Practically a dynasty in NFC. Rams have waited longer and moved to boot. Still, I'll stick with Saints.

AFC... Brady, Steelers, Andy Reid... what could go right? Steelers knock off Chiefs in divisional, lose to the Patriots in New England. Yawn. Saints beat Patriots in the SB in a close game of course.
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

RRMarshall wrote:The upcoming Chiefs-Rams prime time event will be the first MNF game I will watch from start to finish in over a decade. They are advertising it as a match up of Mahomes vs Gurley but IMO it is the Rams QB Jared Goff that may very well decide the game. The Chiefs secondary is horrid and if they load up the front to stop Gurley it could be bombs away all night long...Any chance this game breaks the all-time MNF record for points set by the 1983 Wash-GB game??
to paraphrase from the late Ed McMahon.....You were correct sir!
JWL

Post by JWL »

Based on that rant/not a rant thread from earlier this season, I thought there would be a lot of bitterness and disgust over this Chiefs-Rams game.
JWL

Post by JWL »

JuggernautJ wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:....A ridiculously high-scoring game as actually advertised, but defense still playing quite a role thus enabling the final to be what it was at 105-combined....
I am wondering if this might not be the future of "good" defense.

Gone are the days when a defense can dominate a game and hold a team to two or three productive possessions.
Now a "good" defense is one that can make a couple of stops and perhaps contribute a big play or two (or three).

If the league lets team practice like they used to and cornerbacks get to engage in more hand fighting, then balance between offense and defense will be brought back to the sport. Practice time was cut severely after the latest CBA. This hurts defense much more than it hurts offense.

As for now, the key positions in football are, in no particular order, quarterback, wide receiver, pass rusher, and defensive back with ball skills. Just a few years ago, like as in, well, 2017 or 2016, I would not have listed wide receiver as a Mount Rushmore position. I believe it currently is one.