PRFA in the News: NBCNews

Ronfitch

PRFA in the News: NBCNews

Post by Ronfitch »

'He’s got as good a set of numbers as anyone in there,' Bob Lilly, frequent Gabriel opponent and Hall of Fame defensive tackle, told the Professional Football Researchers Association in 2014."

The quote from Bob Lilly mid-story is attributed to a 2014 CoffinCorner article about Roman Garbiel that John Turney added to his Pro Football Journal blog in June. The NBCNews story includes an link within the quote to John's blog entry.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-amer ... -XAicDrckE
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
ChrisBabcock

Re: PRFA in the News: NBCNews

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Is the last sentence in this paragraph from the article accurate? I always thought home field for playoff games back then was determined on a rotating basis.

From 1967-69, Gabriel led the Rams to a sparkling 32-7-3 record. But each year ended in heartbreak, in part because of the way the NFL playoffs were structured at the time. Home-field advantage then was determined by the teams’ previous year’s records, as opposed to same-year records used today.
Apbaball

Post by Apbaball »

ChrisBabcock wrote:Is the last sentence in this paragraph from the article accurate? I always thought home field for playoff games back then was determined on a rotating basis.

From 1967-69, Gabriel led the Rams to a sparkling 32-7-3 record. But each year ended in heartbreak, in part because of the way the NFL playoffs were structured at the time. Home-field advantage then was determined by the teams’ previous year’s records, as opposed to same-year records used today.
No, I think it was a rotation. East one year then West the next.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Apbaball wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:Is the last sentence in this paragraph from the article accurate? I always thought home field for playoff games back then was determined on a rotating basis.

It was pointed out in the Great Years series book on the Rams, George Allen's 1967 and 1969 teams couldn't get a break on the seeding, playing in very cold weather both times. Having either game at home in the Coliseum wouldn't have hurt.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

SixtiesFan wrote:
Apbaball wrote:

It was pointed out in the Great Years series book on the Rams, George Allen's 1967 and 1969 teams couldn't get a break on the seeding, playing in very cold weather both times. Having either game at home in the Coliseum wouldn't have hurt.
Plus, had they won both, the NFL championship games would have been L.A.--instead of the Ice Bowl and 8 degrees at The Met.