Carryover-- Losing Seasons, fun to watch...

Mark L. Ford

Carryover-- Losing Seasons, fun to watch...

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Text from a conversation still in progress yesterday, October 11
Any losing seasons you've witnessed that were at least fun to watch?
Started by Ness, Oct 09 2014 07:21 PM

#1 Any losing seasons you've witnessed that were at least fun to watch?: post #1 Ness (
Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:21 PM
I found the 2004 Tennessee Titans fun to watch even though they only won five games. Chris Johnson looked like the runningback of the future after Eddie George, Billy Volek put up some ridiculous numbers in half a season of starts in place of Steve McNair, and Drew Bennett along with Derick Mason had good years as receivers. Their defense couldn't stop anyone though. Injuries to other key players also hurt the team.

I'm trying to think of some others. The 2000 49ers only won 6 games, but at the same time Jeff Garcia starting to blow up along with Terrell Owens who had his best season up to that point. Charlie Garner was a very good runningback too. Also, Terrell Owens standing on the star was quite a spectacle.

I guess I find that if a team is a loser, I'd rather them have a good offense than good defense. At least it won't be completely boring.

#2 Any losing seasons you've witnessed that were at least fun to watch?: post #2 JWL
Posted 10 October 2014, 09:47 AM
The 1996 Jets were fun to watch by mid-October primarily due to my father's commentary.

My father speaking as clueless Rich Kotite while he shook hands with Vince Tobin following the Jets victory: "Uhh, did we win?"

Also, I went to a Halloween party at New York University. I wore a Keyshawn Johnson jersey and had a brown bag on my head.

Written on the bag was "Just End This S*%#" and "1-8 Ain't That Bad."

If I attend a Halloween party this year, the same type of costume will be worn.

#3 Any losing seasons you've witnessed that were at least fun to watch?: post #3 Todd Pence
Posted 11 October 2014, 08:57 AM
I got a Geno Smith jersey I can loan you. Except it's a Mountaineer one.
oldecapecod11

Re: Carryover-- Losing Seasons, fun to watch...

Post by oldecapecod11 »

BUMP - Was "In Progress" when old forum folded
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

One of the more competitive losing season teams- 2002 Vikings

Outside of the Seattle/Tampa Bay debacles, they lost a ton of close games- OT vs Chicago/Buffalo/Atlanta, almost beat a solid Packers team in Lambeau, played the Patriots hard in Gillette, played spoiler for Miami/New Orleans
Last edited by CSKreager on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

CSKreager wrote:One of the more competitive losing season teams- 2002 Vikings

Outside of the Seattle/Tampa Bay debacles, they lost a ton of close games- OT vs Chicago/Buffalo, almost beat a solid Packers team in Lambeau, played spoiler for Miami/New Orleans
They didn't mention the Vikings but they made reference to the Seattle-Minnesota game last night on MNF.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

CSKreager wrote:One of the more competitive losing season teams- 2002 Vikings

Outside of the Seattle/Tampa Bay debacles, they lost a ton of close games- OT vs Chicago/Buffalo/Atlanta, almost beat a solid Packers team in Lambeau, played the Patriots hard in Gillette, played spoiler for Miami/New Orleans
I wish more broadcasts were available of the 1976 Seahawks, because I think with Jim Zorn and Steve Largent and not much else they must have been a fun team to watch. Even in 1976 they were already comparing Zorn to Tarkenton.

I have watched virtually all the 1977 Bucs games and they were fun to watch as they had a pretty good defense. If you had taken the 1977 Bucs defense and put Zorn and Largent on that team, they probably would have finished .500 in the 1977 NFL. On the other hand, the 1977 Bucs offense and 1977 Seahawks defense would have surely been worse than the 1976 Bucs, and it is doubtful they would have scored more than a TD in any game.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen