Are the days of the on field record ceremonies over?

Rupert Patrick

Are the days of the on field record ceremonies over?

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Watching Peyton Manning eclipse Favre's career TD mark, I was surprised the game wasn't held up for a couple minutes for a ceremony at the middle of the field. I know they used to do this in the past, when Payton broke Jim Brown's career rushing mark, the game was halted for a few minutes as the media came out onto the field:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBB_cLsnsY0

When did this practice end?
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
sheajets

Re: Are the days of the on field record ceremonies over?

Post by sheajets »

I remember they stopped a Raiders-Jets game when Tim Brown caught his 1000th pass in 2002. Chris Carter and Jerry Rice had all had their 1000th in recent memory so this was no groundbreaking amazing moment...but the Raiders had some sort of on field ceremony for him and it was hyped to the point of annoyance by them
luckyshow

Post by luckyshow »

They should bring back the long gone tradition (I am unsure the NFL ever actually followed this "tradition"), of the opening ceremonial kickoff. Sometimes a celebrity holder would hold for the celebrity (or politician) kicker. I guess Mick Jagger might sue for a groin injury, but it'd be worth it. MAybe a Rockette could kick off at a Jets game.
merylinkid

Post by merylinkid »

I was watching the game where Payton broke the record. THey did not hold up the game. The media rushed the field, Payton told them to go away there was a game to play. There was no ceremony during the game.

I liked last night that there was an announcement. The nice girl on the horse rode down on the field with a flag saying "509" on it, and that was it. Then we got back to playing the football game.