300 + 100

Bob Gill

300 + 100

Post by Bob Gill »

Whether Seattle manages to come back or not, I see Russell Wilson has topped 300 yards passing and 100 yards rushing today. Is this the first time anybody has ever done both in the same game? I'm pretty sure nobody had done it up till a few years ago, but with the advent of Wilson, Griffin, Newton and the rest, I can't remember whether any of them have managed to do it already. Either way, it's pretty impressive.
ChrisBabcock

Re: 300 + 100

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Looks like its the first time that's ever been done.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... y=pass_yds
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Cam Newton came close last week. He finished with 284 yards. Of course, it took 5 quarters to do that.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

And Seattle lost the game.

The Rams upset of Seattle is looking like the upset of the year, and the fake on the punt return is one of the most brilliant plays I've ever seen, and will go down as perhaps the play of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV4SVTTt_YU
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Rupert Patrick wrote:And Seattle lost the game.

The Rams upset of Seattle is looking like the upset of the year, and the fake on the punt return is one of the most brilliant plays I've ever seen, and will go down as perhaps the play of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV4SVTTt_YU
A lot of people online are freaking out about the play like it's never happened before or something, every football fan has seen it before, the Bears did it just a couple years back when Knox returned it for a TD, though it got called back on holding. Have seen it other times before as well at lower levels of football.

It was well executed by the Rams though, as was their fake punt.

The Wilson stat happening in a loss sums up most stats in general ... just numbers.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

I don't think I've ever seen that punt return play before. I certainly can't recall seeing anything like it.

Beyond that, I have trouble visualizing how you'd execute it. I don't know much about what a punt return (or punt coverage) team does anyway. Did the Rams just set it up in the hope that the kick would go to the opposite side of the field from where the ostensible returner was set up? I find it hard to imagine how they could check the ball in the air to see where it was going and then still have time to set up the fake return from the other side. Anyway, it was really cool to see.

I suppose for a lot of trick plays (including the fake punt later on) the key is the execution -- that is, the design is so deceptive that if you do it just as it's drawn up, nobody will stop it, but the trouble is that not many plays are executed that well.

As for the fact that Wilson hit the 300/100 mark in a loss, that reminds me of one of my favorite performances of all time: Otto Graham in the 1950 championship game. He missed 300/100 by THREE yards, rushing for 99 and passing for 298, plus FOUR touchdowns, and the Browns needed every single yard. That was just generally one of the best football games every played, though I guess few people outside this form know about it. As for performances by quarterbacks in title games, I might put Graham's 1950 game and Baugh's 1937 game at the top of the list. Well, OK, Baugh was technically a left halfback, but he was doing what quarterbacks do today.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Here's the Bears doing the same thing (note: not sure on the forum rules about posting links, was hit or miss at the old forums on what was allowed) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqxv38A24zI

Everyone has seen PR'ers pretend they are fielding the punt to allow the ball to bounce into the endzone for a touchback. These plays are along the same lines but obviously instead of trying to fool the coverage team from downing the ball inside the 20,10,5 it's drawing the coverage to one side of the field and putting a guy on the other side to return it. Creative, smart, I definitely appreciate the film study that goes into it, but not new. Doesn't make it less of a great play, but the hyperbole is a bit over the top today ("greatest play in the history of football! I've never seen anything like it!" . . . literally happened a couple years ago, in the NFL. Plus return men 'faking' fielding the punt has been happening for decades.)

I have a vague memory of seeing it in a DIII game a couple years ago and I definitely saw a version in HS football, though that was with two return men and obviously with little hangtime, return man on the left ran up like he was fielding the punt and the coverage went towards him while the returner on the right casually took the punt on a hop and ran down the sidelines.
Wendell02

Post by Wendell02 »

Randall Cunningham missed it by 8 yards on 12/18/1989 against the Saints. 306 passing and 92 rushing.

Is it just me, or does anyone find it ironic that Russell is a sportswear company and Wilson is a sporting goods company? Seems like some clever person would come up with a TV commercial about that.
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Dave Meggett used to do that stuff all the time, "track" the ball to one side of the field when it was going to the other. Sometimes they bit, sometimes they didn't, but I don't believe it ever had such a successful result. Usually when it worked, he just was able to prevent the kicking team from downing the ball.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

[quote="Reaser"]Here's the Bears doing the same thing (note: not sure on the forum rules about posting links, was hit or miss at the old forums on what was allowed) ...

Everyone has seen PR'ers pretend they are fielding the punt to allow the ball to bounce into the endzone for a touchback. These plays are along the same lines but obviously instead of trying to fool the coverage team from downing the ball inside the 20,10,5 it's drawing the coverage to one side of the field and putting a guy on the other side to return it.

Now that I've seen that clip from the Bears' game, I do believe I remember seeing it before. But I guess it faded from my memory since it didn't really count. (And I guess it didn't get replayed nearly as much, either.)

Of course I've seen the fake to avoid having the ball downed hundreds of times, but it seemed to me that a play like this is very different, since it involves having the blockers go to the wrong side of the field to lure the coverage men, and also the fake return man can't signal for a fair catch in this case, which they do in the more common fakes. But just now it occurs to me, if one guy steps up and looks like he's about to catch the ball, maybe that's enough to draw the coverage men to his side, and then the blockers just have to go with the flow. Could that be the key to it? I'm still not sure, but it was something novel. And it certainly worked, too.

Along the same lines, I liked that play Denver ran last night where they faked the flanker screen to D. Thomas, but instead of blocking, Welker ran through the two defensive backs (who had their eyes on Thomas and just let him go) and caught the TD pass. Another case of a very well executed fake.