Jerry Glanville-Brett Favre

Bryan

Re: Jerry Glanville-Brett Favre

Post by Bryan »

conace21 wrote:Miller wasn't an injury replacement for the Pro Bowl
I didn’t say he was. I said that Young was left of the ballot, and Miller was the 4th best NFC QB behind Rypien, Young & Aikman. I think one can question Miller’s ‘deservedness’ of his 1991 Pro Bowl.
conace21 wrote: Rypien was the only NFC QB with a higher passer rating to start more than 12 games.
Only 3 NFC QBs other than Miller started more than 12 games (Rypien, Harbaugh, Everett), and those guys started every game while Miller started only 14. So you found the sweet spot of less than 15 but more than 12.
conace21 wrote:When he got to Green Bay, he got to learn in a more structured, stable environment, from a great QB teacher in Holmgren.
Yes, I think anything would have been a more ‘structured, stable environment’ than Glanville’s 1991 Falcon organization. I thought the Falcons got rid of Favre too soon and never really gave him a chance, and the Falcons would have been better off keeping Favre. I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

L.C. Greenwood wrote:Brett Favre was indeed a surprise to many being drafted so high out of Southern Miss
Nope. The surprise was that Favre lasted to the 2nd round and that the Raiders selected Todd Marinovich before him. Favre was a projected 1st round pick. The top 3 QB prospects that year were Favre, Dan McGwire of SDSU and Browning Nagle of Louisville.
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

Bryan wrote:
L.C. Greenwood wrote:Brett Favre was indeed a surprise to many being drafted so high out of Southern Miss
Nope. The surprise was that Favre lasted to the 2nd round and that the Raiders selected Todd Marinovich before him. Favre was a projected 1st round pick. The top 3 QB prospects that year were Favre, Dan McGwire of SDSU and Browning Nagle of Louisville.

It was a very weak year for QBs, so Favre was selected higher than he would have been in prior seasons. It wasn't a surprise McGwire and Nagle washed out in the NFL. I agree with you Atlanta should have been more patient with Favre, but the fact he turned into a great QB with Green Bay was a complete surprise.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

L.C. Greenwood wrote:It was a very weak year for QBs, so Favre was selected higher than he would have been in prior seasons. It wasn't a surprise McGwire and Nagle washed out in the NFL. I agree with you Atlanta should have been more patient with Favre, but the fact he turned into a great QB with Green Bay was a complete surprise.
QBs with major league arms tend to be drafted high. Jeff George was the #1 overall pick the year prior, and I don't think the 1991 QB prospects were any weaker than 1990 or 1992. Favre was the 3rd QB taken...the 3rd QB taken in 1990 was Tommy Hodson (3rd round) and in 1992 it was Matt Blundin (2nd round). Favre was a vastly superior QB prospect compared to those two guys. Other than George, the 1st round QBs in those years were Andre Ware, Tommy Maddox & David Klingler. Getting a top QB prospect like Favre in the 2nd round would be a good value regardless of draft year, IMO.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Bryan wrote:
conace21 wrote:Miller wasn't an injury replacement for the Pro Bowl
I didn’t say he was. I said that Young was left of the ballot, and Miller was the 4th best NFC QB behind Rypien, Young & Aikman. I think one can question Miller’s ‘deservedness’ of his 1991 Pro Bowl.
conace21 wrote: Rypien was the only NFC QB with a higher passer rating to start more than 12 games.
Only 3 NFC QBs other than Miller started more than 12 games (Rypien, Harbaugh, Everett), and those guys started every game while Miller started only 14. So you found the sweet spot of less than 15 but more than 12.
conace21 wrote:When he got to Green Bay, he got to learn in a more structured, stable environment, from a great QB teacher in Holmgren.
Yes, I think anything would have been a more ‘structured, stable environment’ than Glanville’s 1991 Falcon organization. I thought the Falcons got rid of Favre too soon and never really gave him a chance, and the Falcons would have been better off keeping Favre. I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.
There was a lot of debate in December 1991 on whether Aikman and Young were the best QB's on their own teams. History showed they would be the best of the NFC that decade (along with Favre) but that was very much in question. Jimmy Johnson stuck with Steve Beurlein for the playoffs, (and got into a yelling match with Jerry Jones when Jones publicly stated Aikman was still the future of the team.) Aikman was 7-5 that year, while Beurlein was 4-0.
I recently read a news or magazine article from 1991 where 49ers players were quoted as saying how playing with Bono was like playing with Montana agai. I'll have to see of I can find the link. I was surprised to see that, but it stems from the fact that Bono stuck to the confines of the offense, as opposed to the talented Young, who too often through 1991, deviated from the offense and still tried to make something happen with his legs.
Young had much better numbers than Bono, but had a 5-5 record, while Bono was 5-1.

So to sum it up, I think Miller had the second best season of any NFC QB. He seemed to have taken the step forward needed to be a great quarterback. The Falcons screwed up the situation with Favre, and if they had help on to him, I think we would have been deprived of one of the most colorful QB's ever. Favre was on a Ryan Leaf/JaMarcus Russell/Johnny Manziel turn. Maybe he would have straightened out if he had gotten a chance to play after Miller was injured, but his lack of preparation would have prevented any success.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Bryan wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:Miller started his career with a team that didn't have much talent. And, in 91, Young had a higher rating because he was in a dink and dunk system, while Chris was in an offense that looked more for the big play (Glanville doesn't like Walsh's West Coast Offense).
I think Steve Young was better than Chris Miller.
Steve was a project before he got to SF. He became better later in his career.