1980 'power' rankings

7DnBrnc53

Re: 1980 'power' rankings

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

CSKreager wrote:1980 was an interesting season overall.

Last hurrah of the 70s Rams (by the time Dickerson came around, a lot of those guys were gone by the middle of the decade)

The Colts had a surprisingly decent season (swept the Bills, singlehandedly kept them from HFA throughout playoffs) which made their '81 collapse the more shocking

Washington played all season like they had never recovered from the '79 Dallas finale (though had the Bears not routed the Cardinals, it wouldn't have mattered)

Seattle went winless at home which was a stunner given their 1978/1979 moments of glory

The 49ers showed offensive glimpses of what was to come, but had a long ways to go on defense

The Jets.... well, they go from a decent year in '79, are the 1 in the 1-15 Saints, then make the playoffs the next 2 years

Detroit went from horrendous to legit
And Denver had one of their "lost seasons" that year because of the poor trade for Matt Robinson. They wouldn't have another .500 or worse year in a non-strike year until 1988.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

CSKreager wrote:Washington played all season like they had never recovered from the '79 Dallas finale (though had the Bears not routed the Cardinals, it wouldn't have mattered)

Detroit went from horrendous to legit
Losing Riggins was huge blow for the Skins, while adding Billy Sims was huge boost for the Lions.

In the latter case though, the Lions faded fast: they started out 5-1, then went 2-6 before winning their final two games. In those six losses, the only playoff team among them was Minnesota, though four could be considered tough losses: two by a point, one by a field goal and one in OT on the opening kickoff.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

If the Bills win that AFC div. playoff game at San Diego, I don't think the Raiders win 2 straight game in ice cold conditions IMHO (BUF would have hosted if they win and OAK still beats CLE).

The weather in Buffalo on a potential AFC-CG day:

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather- ... 981/01/11/
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Being how so evenly matched all these playoff teams were, any number of Super Bowl matchups could have conceivably happened. Which one or ones would have been more intriguing than the one we actually got that year? I’ve said awhile back in a different thread that a Chargers/Cowboys matchup this year would have been a good one. A Bills/Falcons revenge game would have been great. I see I haven't done a power rankings for this season. I don't know if I dare touch it. :shock: :)
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

ChrisBabcock wrote:Being how so evenly matched all these playoff teams were, any number of Super Bowl matchups could have conceivably happened. Which one or ones would have been more intriguing than the one we actually got that year? I’ve said awhile back in a different thread that a Chargers/Cowboys matchup this year would have been a good one. A Bills/Falcons revenge game would have been great. I see I haven't done a power rankings for this season. I don't know if I dare touch it. :shock: :)

Atlanta had a tremendous opportunity in 1980, they had already beaten the Bills and Eagles on the road in the regular season. Squandering that huge lead at home against Dallas in the playoffs was devastating for that franchise.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

L.C. Greenwood wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:Being how so evenly matched all these playoff teams were, any number of Super Bowl matchups could have conceivably happened. Which one or ones would have been more intriguing than the one we actually got that year? I’ve said awhile back in a different thread that a Chargers/Cowboys matchup this year would have been a good one. A Bills/Falcons revenge game would have been great. I see I haven't done a power rankings for this season. I don't know if I dare touch it. :shock: :)

Atlanta had a tremendous opportunity in 1980, they had already beaten the Bills and Eagles on the road in the regular season. Squandering that huge lead at home against Dallas in the playoffs was devastating for that franchise.
No guarantee they beat Philadelphia a week later, so that could have been a possible setback in its own way.