Penalty rules changes over the years

RyanChristiansen

Penalty rules changes over the years

Post by RyanChristiansen »

I’m looking for a resource that lists the penalty rules for the NFL and changes made by year. Anyone have a suggestion for the most complete and credible resource?
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Bryan

Re: Penalty rules changes over the years

Post by Bryan »

PFRA member 65 Toss Power Trap is the best resource I've found.
RyanChristiansen

Thanks, Bryan. I've checked out the Football Zebras site and I've made some inquiries.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
65 toss power trap

Post by 65 toss power trap »

Just to copy my answer to what you also posed in the Football Zebras forum, in case anyone was looking for the same information:

The resources I have used are from unpublished material as well as various margin notes, so it's not something I can point to an online resource, nor can I just publish it in its raw form.

Many of the Wikipedia articles for each season have a source link for that year's rules changes, and the more recent ones of course would have online references. I have found the information in the rules change section to be pretty comprehensive, of course doing some source checking as well.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I don't believe there has ever been a book written which documents the penalty changes over the years, or even the rule changes, and how rules and penalties have evolved, but I think it would make a great book topic.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:I don't believe there has ever been a book written which documents the penalty changes over the years, or even the rule changes, and how rules and penalties have evolved, but I think it would make a great book topic.
There is such a book for college football, David M. Nelson's Anatomy of a Game. Since NFL and NCAA rules diverged in 1932 (I think?), it's much help for pro football.

But I agree, a book that documented the changes would be a great addition to the literature, especially if it analyzed the changes that were wrought on the field by the rules changes.
RyanChristiansen

Thanks, everyone. This helps.