fgoodwin

Re: History of the NFL's exhibition basketball teams

Post by fgoodwin »

When the Oilers and Cowboys met on the basketball court — really
By J.R. Gonzales on December 20, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Evan

Post by Evan »

This is great stuff everyone, thanks so much for taking the time to research and respond. Mark, it looks like your article next March will be well-received!

I tried to attached a typical blurb about the 1963 Vikings basketball team. Looked like they had a pretty exciting game against the "Austin 5". The article was from Jan. 20, 1963, not too far after the football season ended, and only nine days after another article announced that Tarkenton "a graduate of the University of Georgia with a degree in business administration ... has joined the Holden Printing Co., Minneapolis, in a public relations and sales capacity."

Ah yes, simpler times.
Attachments
Vikes basketball team
Vikes basketball team
63-1-20-Star_Tribune2.jpg (29.81 KiB) Viewed 15618 times
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Evan wrote:This is great stuff everyone, thanks so much for taking the time to research and respond. Mark, it looks like your article next March will be well-received!

I tried to attached a typical blurb about the 1963 Vikings basketball team. Looked like they had a pretty exciting game against the "Austin 5". The article was from Jan. 20, 1963, not too far after the football season ended, and only nine days after another article announced that Tarkenton "a graduate of the University of Georgia with a degree in business administration ... has joined the Holden Printing Co., Minneapolis, in a public relations and sales capacity."

Ah yes, simpler times.
Tarkenton occasionally does local radio ads for his business investment company. One of the guys who works for Tarkenton and hosts a local investment radio show used to be a TV weatherman here and I knew him pretty well from my days as a local radio DJ. Tark often appears on his show to talk investing.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Moran

Post by Moran »

Came across this program

Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Evan wrote:This is great stuff everyone, thanks so much for taking the time to research and respond. Mark, it looks like your article next March will be well-received!

Ah yes, simpler times.
Thanks, Evan-- I'm glad you started this conversational thread, and that I got to see other folks' findings.
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

Fun bit of trivia. The Baltimore Colts and Philadelphia Eagles basketball teams played a game on 2 March 1962 in Hershey, Pennsylvnia. Gino Marchetti, Tim Brown, and Sonny Jurgensen were among the select few to witness Wilt Chamberlin's 100 point game.
Some N.F.L. players were there. The Baltimore Colts and the Philadelphia Eagles had played a preliminary basketball game to help draw fans. Gino Marchetti of the Colts left at the start of the fourth quarter for a local bar. But the Eagles' Tim Brown and Sonny Jurgensen saw every minute of the Warriors' 169-147 victory.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/26/sport ... ey-pa.html
Evan

Post by Evan »

And in a great bit of symmetry, a June 23, 1964 story quoted Hank Stram's thoughts about Wilt playing WR. I presume if he did, the Chiefs would if nothing else be the clear and ultimate winner of the best basketball-playing football team ever.
Star_Tribune_Tue__Jun_23__1964_ (2).jpg
Star_Tribune_Tue__Jun_23__1964_ (2).jpg (25.3 KiB) Viewed 15542 times
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Evan wrote:And in a great bit of symmetry, a June 23, 1964 story quoted Hank Stram's thoughts about Wilt playing WR. I presume if he did, the Chiefs would if nothing else be the clear and ultimate winner of the best basketball-playing football team ever.
Star_Tribune_Tue__Jun_23__1964_ (2).jpg
He ended up having to settle for Morris Stroud.
fgoodwin

Post by fgoodwin »

I found a picture of the 1959 Packers basketball team:

http://vintagesportspictures.tumblr.com ... -team-1959
fgoodwin

Post by fgoodwin »

Here's a picture of the Chicago Bears basketball team (undated) but you might have to be a member of Facebook to see it:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater