Jinxed blue jersey "era" in Dallas

MatthewToy

Re: Jinxed blue jersey "era" in Dallas

Post by MatthewToy »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Something tells me Lions played in white vs Dallas once. I know Lions had moments of playing in white at home.
Detroit has only worn white at home once. Thanksgiving 70 against Oakland. I don't remember ever seeing Detroit in white against Dallas. I assume it happened pre 64.
slats7

Post by slats7 »

Some say the jinx began with SB V, but the Colts had to wear their home whites that day. They weren't playing mind games or anything like that. The Rams and the Cardinals were the first to buy into the Dallas jinx in the 1970's, wearing white at home when they didn't have to.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe when Dallas played his first ever game at Tampa Bay in 1990 (after 5 regular season games and two playoff games at Texas Stadium) the Cowboys wore blue. They won that game, but they lost the next time the played the Bucs (10 years later!), so from 1976 to 1999 the Cowboys were unbeaten against the Buccaneers.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

sheajets wrote:Cowboys wore white for their 1978 visit to Shea Image
I love the numeral font on Randy White's jersey. The Cowboy uniforms as a whole looked so much better then.
superbowlfanatic

Post by superbowlfanatic »

The St. Louis Cardinals used to make a big deal out of wearing white at home vs. Dallas. One time, they even took out a billboard ad proclaiming it.

I remember a game at the Meadowlands when the Giants Joe Danelo, in a white jersey, first missed, then later made a OT FG to defeat Dallas back in the 1980's.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Teo wrote:Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe when Dallas played his first ever game at Tampa Bay in 1990 (after 5 regular season games and two playoff games at Texas Stadium) the Cowboys wore blue. They won that game, but they lost the next time the played the Bucs (10 years later!), so from 1976 to 1999 the Cowboys were unbeaten against the Buccaneers.
After beating Rams in '78 NFCC, Dallas would not beat a team in the playoffs without the word, "Bay", in their city name again until '91.
superbowlfanatic wrote:The St. Louis Cardinals used to make a big deal out of wearing white at home vs. Dallas. One time, they even took out a billboard ad proclaiming it.

I remember a game at the Meadowlands when the Giants Joe Danelo, in a white jersey, first missed, then later made a OT FG to defeat Dallas back in the 1980's.
That Giant-loss was the '81 finale (Sat) when Dallas's 2nd-seed spot was already set in stone while G-men had to win (while praying for Packer-loss next day; prayers answered). Cards, early that season, also beat Dallas with their white jerseys. I'm surprised defending-NFC champ 7-1 Philly didn't "do it again" when they played 6-2 Dallas at the Vet. It may have helped.

EDIT: After beating Atlanta in '80 divisionals did Dallas not beat a non-"Bay" team in the playoffs again until '91.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

MatthewToy wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:Something tells me Lions played in white vs Dallas once. I know Lions had moments of playing in white at home.
Detroit has only worn white at home once. Thanksgiving 70 against Oakland. I don't remember ever seeing Detroit in white against Dallas. I assume it happened pre 64.

Lions also wore white in the '61 Thanksgiving game against the Pack, HC George Wilson did it because of superstition, since the Lions had won all of their previous games that year while wearing white. So, of course they lost. :lol:

With respect to the '70 game, I believe NBC requested the uniform change because the Raiders were wearing their jerseys with the silver number, which were tough to pick up. That would be the final year they wore them.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

BD Sullivan wrote:
MatthewToy wrote:

Lions also wore white in the '61 Thanksgiving game against the Pack, HC George Wilson did it because of superstition, since the Lions had won all of their previous games that year while wearing white. So, of course they lost. :lol:

With respect to the '70 game, I believe NBC requested the uniform change because the Raiders were wearing their jerseys with the silver number, which were tough to pick up. That would be the final year they wore them.
They had actually mothballed those silver numbered white jerseys in 1964 but strangely went back to them for 1970 and 1970 only before going back to the black numbers until the 1994 throwbacks.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

The whole 'blue uniform jinx' thing has always been funny to me. They are always playing on the road when they wear their blue jerseys (accept for on special dates like Thanksgiving etc.etc..) and more often than not they are playing tough teams when they wear them.

I don't know how common place the blue uniform jinx theory was in the '70's but I would imagine it really caught on with fans in the '80's and '90's when they started having to wear their blue uniforms to RFK every single year to play those good Redskin teams.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

The blue uniform jinx is rooted in the 1968 playoff loss to Cleveland, which was a huge upset, and SB 5.