Random thoughts on random 1970's players

7DnBrnc53

Re: Random thoughts on random 1970's players

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

But I am not sure Paul Warfield and Charley Taylor would agree with that assessment.
Agreed. I think that Warfield was the best WR ever, and Taylor (and the aforementioned Jackson) were pretty good as well.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
But I am not sure Paul Warfield and Charley Taylor would agree with that assessment.
Agreed. I think that Warfield was the best WR ever, and Taylor (and the aforementioned Jackson) were pretty good as well.
Warfield was "handicapped" by the fact that the Dolphins had three guys named Csonka, Morris and Kiick to hand the ball to on a regular basis. Just like he was in Cleveland when two slugs named Jim Brown and Leroy Kelly were in the backfield--albeit not together.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JuggernautJ wrote:
Bryan wrote: GENE WASHINGTON (Niners) - made innumerable great catches. Probably top WR of early 70s.
I loves me my Niners and have fond memories of Gene Washington as I was growing up.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... shGe00.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... rfPa00.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... ylCh00.htm
Sorry if I am 'moving the goalposts' on you, but from 1969-1972, Gene Washington was 1st team All-NFL 3 times, and 1st team All-NFC in the other year. Charley Taylor was 2nd team all-NFC once. Its not even comparable.

Warfield (or Alworth depending on how you assess) was the top WR of his generation, but his 1970 & 1972 seasons aren't overly impressive.

Someone else mentioned Harold Jackson...from 1969-1972 Jackson has one 2nd team All-NFL and one 1st team All-NFC (both in 1972).
Last edited by Bryan on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

rewing84 wrote:curious ques bryan why do you have a problem with yary and munchak since they went to a combined 16 pro bowls and made all pro teams 18 times again not criticizing
bachslunch wrote:I'm not Bryan, but my guess is that neither Munchak (4/9/80s) nor Yary (6/7/70s) look all that impressive in film study.
Pretty much this. Yary was regarded as one of the best NCAA OTs in history when he left USC, and Munchak came from Penn State's football factory, so perhaps their reputations preceded them. In my limited 'film study', I've never seen anything that would separate Yary/Munchak from dozens of other good OLs. Neither were maulers in the run game, they weren't great at pass protection, Munchak had a penchant for penalties at the worst times (even recently as a Steeler assistant coach).
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:

Yes, I'm sure we can agree that Charley Taylor and Harold Jackson were pretty good.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Bryan wrote:Pretty much this. Yary was regarded as one of the best NCAA OTs in history when he left USC, and Munchak came from Penn State's football factory, so perhaps their reputations preceded them.
That happens with OL today, for sure. Such as Maurkice Pouncey who was known in college and then had the fortune of becoming a Steeler (and Steelers center at that!) which had people putting him in the HOF before he even played his first game. To date, based on my view, grading sites and most importantly people I know who specifically focus on OL, he's never been a Top 2 (All-Pro level) center and arguably has never been top 5 (Pro Bowl level) yet as long as he doesn't get injured and plays above average for another handful of years he's essentially a lock for the HOF with the honors he's somehow already got and the reputation ones coming - also what happens, obviously, is an OL has a good season (or perceived good season / voted all-pro) early in their career and that's enough to get them a string of reputation all-pro/pro bowl selections. Pouncey hit the double on all of that.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Reaser wrote:
Bryan wrote:Pretty much this. Yary was regarded as one of the best NCAA OTs in history when he left USC, and Munchak came from Penn State's football factory, so perhaps their reputations preceded them.
That happens with OL today, for sure. Such as Maurkice Pouncey who was known in college and then had the fortune of becoming a Steeler (and Steelers center at that!) which had people putting him in the HOF before he even played his first game. To date, based on my view, grading sites and most importantly people I know who specifically focus on OL, he's never been a Top 2 (All-Pro level) center and arguably has never been top 5 (Pro Bowl level) yet as long as he doesn't get injured and plays above average for another handful of years he's essentially a lock for the HOF with the honors he's somehow already got and the reputation ones coming - also what happens, obviously, is an OL has a good season (or perceived good season / voted all-pro) early in their career and that's enough to get them a string of reputation all-pro/pro bowl selections. Pouncey hit the double on all of that.
And his brother Mike is in the same path: playing with a franchise with two HOF centers (Langer and Stephenson), plus already 3 Pro Bowls.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Lem Barney was the Richard Sherman of his time. So lethal that other teams didn't even throw in his direction.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Reaser wrote:
You might be right about the Pounceys, though currently Maurkice only has honors of 2/5, even with Ryan Kalil and behind Nick Mangold (4/7) and Travis Frederick (3/3 and counting). Mike is way back in the pack at 0/3. Then consider that the HoF is pretty stingy with centers -- it's hard to find more than two such players in who had their productive careers at the same time.

My guess is that neither Pouncey has much of a shot thus far, though that could change.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Todd Pence wrote:Lem Barney was the Richard Sherman of his time. So lethal that other teams didn't even throw in his direction.
Not to mention he was an excellent return man on both kickoffs and punts. As a rookie, he led the league in pickoffs with 10--turning three of those into pick-sixes.