Random thoughts on random 1970's players

Bryan

Random thoughts on random 1970's players

Post by Bryan »

LEM BARNEY - I originally thought he was a questionable HOF choice, but he is like a present-day player transported back to the 1970's. A scoring threat with the ball in his hands, much more impressive to me than Emmitt Thomas.

DICK JAURON - Surprising athleticism.

ART THOMS - bad timing as his career was in between Raider SB appearances, but looked very disruptive to offenses.

RILEY ODOMS - big, fast, tough

GENE WASHINGTON (Niners) - made innumerable great catches. Probably top WR of early 70s.

CLIFF BRANCH - shows up everywhere in highlights

BILL MUNSON - similar to Branch, he's always showing up on film, sometimes on different teams

FRED CARR - very physical OLB, Packers were tough with him and Ted Hendricks

KEN BURROUGH & BILLY JOHNSON - both these guys peaked before the late-70's Luv Ya Blue teams. Burrough was tall and fast, Johnson was unbelievable.

LARRY LITTLE - sometimes blocking two defenders on one play, not sure why the Chargers got rid of him.

TOM LONGO (Giants) - all of his 'tackles' involve him jumping and landing with both knees on the ballcarrier's back/legs/head.

DICK ANDERSON - penchant for spearing/smearing ballcarriers after they are on the ground.

GREG PRUITT - incredible runner and return man for miserable Browns teams. Worth the price of admission.

FRAN TARKENTON - wanted to reiterate how great he was. Always completing passes, always scoring TDs. Whatever negative stigma he had was definitely undeserved.

RON YARY - I don't get it. He and Mike Munchak are the most unimpressive HOF OLs I've seen.

RON JOHNSON (Giants) - tough inside and outside runner for bad Giants teams

DAN PASTORINI - probably the most beat up QB in NFL history

DAVE SMITH & RON SHANKLIN (Steelers) - Shanklin actually made the pro bowl in 1973, but these guys definitely didn't help Terry Bradshaw's development. Neither could catch anything.
Citizen

Re: Random thoughts on random 1970's players

Post by Citizen »

Bryan wrote: FRED CARR - very physical OLB, Packers were tough with him and Ted Hendricks
Interesting observations here about oft-forgotten players.

Carr was an interesting cat. He drank beer and smoked cigarettes year 'round, but when Sunday came along, all he did was make plays. On the eve of his 11th season, he said to hell with it all and walked away without looking back.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

DAVE SMITH & RON SHANKLIN (Steelers) - Shanklin actually made the pro bowl in 1973, but these guys definitely didn't help Terry Bradshaw's development. Neither could catch anything.
I think they both were drafted in 1970, the same year the Steelers drafted two other WR's (Hubie Bryant and Jon Staggers). All four of them were gone by 1975.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
I think they both were drafted in 1970, the same year the Steelers drafted two other WR's (Hubie Bryant and Jon Staggers). All four of them were gone by 1975.
I was remembering Shanklin as a little better than the others.
He did have a Pro-Bowl appearance and lead the league in average yards per reception in 1973.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... anRo00.htm

Next you guys are going to start picking on poor old Frenchy Fuqua...
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Bryan wrote: GENE WASHINGTON (Niners) - made innumerable great catches. Probably top WR of early 70s.
I loves me my Niners and have fond memories of Gene Washington as I was growing up.
But I am not sure Paul Warfield and Charley Taylor would agree with that assessment.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... shGe00.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... rfPa00.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... ylCh00.htm
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

curious ques bryan why do you have a problem with yary and munchak since they went to a combined 16 pro bowls and made all pro teams 18 times again not criticizing
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

JuggernautJ wrote:
Bryan wrote: GENE WASHINGTON (Niners) - made innumerable great catches. Probably top WR of early 70s.
I loves me my Niners and have fond memories of Gene Washington as I was growing up.
But I am not sure Paul Warfield and Charley Taylor would agree with that assessment.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... shGe00.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... rfPa00.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... ylCh00.htm
Or Harold Jackson.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

FRAN TARKENTON - wanted to reiterate how great he was. Always completing passes, always scoring TDs. Whatever negative stigma he had was definitely undeserved.
One of the original WCO-style QB's.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

rewing84 wrote:curious ques bryan why do you have a problem with yary and munchak since they went to a combined 16 pro bowls and made all pro teams 18 times again not criticizing
I'm not Bryan, but my guess is that neither Munchak (4/9/80s) nor Yary (6/7/70s) look all that impressive in film study. There are a few other players such as Dick Stanfel (5/4/50s) who reportedly have a real disconnect between their worthy postseason honors numbers and how they look on film. And that's apparently true in reverse for folks such as Ray Nitschke (3/1/60s) and Bob Skoronski (0/1/none). This happens occasionally, and it's a fair argument to make.
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

Billy "White Shoes" Johnson was one of the most dynamic players of the 70s, and was good enough to earn a Pro Bowl with the Falcons in the 80s. Literally came out of nowhere, a 15th round pick from a tiny school. One of those players who won't be in Canton, but everyone enjoyed watching. Overcame knee surgery as an Oiler, was was quite a trick in the 70s for a player who relied so much on quickness. As a Falcon, had the unbelievable play as a WR in the closing seconds against San Francisco, when he snared a deep pass near the end zone, and somehow evaded Ronnie Lott and other 49ers to score the winning TD.