Name the players/game trivia

Gary Najman

Re: Name the players/game trivia

Post by Gary Najman »

Bryan wrote:Future Super Bowl QB throws for 3 TDs and rushes for 2 TDs in one of his first starts as a rookie. The opposing QB, a past Super Bowl QB, does not fare as well and throws 4 INTs. A future NFL head coach has a tough day, gaining 21 yards on 15 carries.
That would be a Miami-Los Angeles game at Anaheim Stadium on November 9, 1980.

-David Woodley was the rookie winning QB.
-Vince Ferragamo was the losing QB who threw 4 picks.
-Terry Robiskie, of the Dolphins was the future HC.

Thanks to PFR!
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I have a trivia, but it consist of multiple games.

Who is the only defensive back who has returned interceptions for TDs of three different Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks that are retired and currently are not in the HOF (The DB in turn is also retired and not in the HOF, and he was a member of a different team in each pick-six).
Just a wild guess without attempting to look anything up. Darren Sharper is the DB and the 3 QBs are amongst these 5: Kurt Warner, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson and the Manning brothers.
JWL

Post by JWL »

removing my response 'cause it is wrong on multiple levels

(I had Ty Law here)

My first thought was Terrell Buckley but he doesn't check all the boxes either.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
I have a trivia, but it consist of multiple games.

Who is the only defensive back who has returned interceptions for TDs of three different Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks that are retired and currently are not in the HOF (The DB in turn is also retired and not in the HOF, and he was a member of a different team in each pick-six).
Just a wild guess without attempting to look anything up. Darren Sharper is the DB and the 3 QBs are amongst these 5: Kurt Warner, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson and the Manning brothers.
Good guess, but no. Eli Manning is the only SB winning QB that Sharper intercepted for a TD.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

JWL wrote:removing my response 'cause it is wrong on multiple levels

(I had Ty Law here)

My first thought was Terrell Buckley but he doesn't check all the boxes either.

Great guess, but no: Buckley picked Kurt Warner and Peyton Manning for TD, and Super Bowl losers Jim Kelly (HOF) and Drew Bledsoe.

The answer is Otis Smith:

1991-12-22 Philadelphia vs. Washington (Mark Rypien)
1997-12-14 N.Y. Jets vs. Tampa Bay (Trent Dilfer) twice
2001-09-30 New England vs. Indianapolis (Peyton Manning)
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Teo wrote:
Bryan wrote:Future Super Bowl QB throws for 3 TDs and rushes for 2 TDs in one of his first starts as a rookie. The opposing QB, a past Super Bowl QB, does not fare as well and throws 4 INTs. A future NFL head coach has a tough day, gaining 21 yards on 15 carries.
That would be a Miami-Los Angeles game at Anaheim Stadium on November 9, 1980.

-David Woodley was the rookie winning QB.
-Vince Ferragamo was the losing QB who threw 4 picks.
-Terry Robiskie, of the Dolphins was the future HC.

Thanks to PFR!
Correct!
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

As a rookie, he helped his team win their first game of the season with a 200+yard rushing performance with 2 TDs; it was vs Dallas. He would end up playing in a conference championship game before his career was over. Two years after that CC game, his teammate - who would only put up 3 yards in that very CC game - would catch a TD pass in a win, also vs Dallas.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:As a rookie, he helped his team win their first game of the season with a 200+yard rushing performance with 2 TDs; it was vs Dallas. He would end up playing in a conference championship game before his career was over. Two years after that CC game, his teammate - who would only put up 3 yards in that very CC game - would catch a TD pass in a win, also vs Dallas.
The first player is Greg Bell, the second is Cleveland Gary.

This playoff game featured a team with a running back playing in his fourth consecutive year of the postseason, but his first with a new team. Their opponents featured a receiver who was making his fourth straight playoff appearance, with three different teams.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Todd Pence wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:As a rookie, he helped his team win their first game of the season with a 200+yard rushing performance with 2 TDs; it was vs Dallas. He would end up playing in a conference championship game before his career was over. Two years after that CC game, his teammate - who would only put up 3 yards in that very CC game - would catch a TD pass in a win, also vs Dallas.
This playoff game featured a team with a running back playing in his fourth consecutive year of the postseason, but his first with a new team. Their opponents featured a receiver who was making his fourth straight playoff appearance, with three different teams.
It is the 1981 NFC Wildcard game on December 27 (Giants at Eagles), the RB is Rob Carpenter who was in his first year in NY after going to the playoffs with Houston the past three seasons. The WR is Ron Smith, who played before with the Rams and Chargers (and scored TDs in the playoffs with both clubs).
Ken Pullis

Post by Ken Pullis »

Otis Smith?
1991 Eagles vs Mark Rypien
1997 Jets vs Trent Dilfer
2001 Patriots vs Peyton Manning