Favorite One-Hit Wonder Team/Player?

MarbleEye

Re: Favorite One-Hit Wonder Team/Player?

Post by MarbleEye »

Dick Post led the AFL in rushing in 1969 with a total less than 900 yards! 878, if memory serves. He never really did much again, and it could be argued he didnt even have all that great a season in 1969, but nonetheless it served to lead the league. I wouldn't think we will ever see such a low total lead a non-strike season ever again.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

MarbleEye wrote:Dick Post led the AFL in rushing in 1969 with a total less than 900 yards! 878, if memory serves. He never really did much again, and it could be argued he didnt even have all that great a season in 1969, but nonetheless it served to lead the league. I wouldn't think we will ever see such a low total lead a non-strike season ever again.
Not that great a season? It was a great season for the era. In 1969 Gale Sayers led the NFL with 1032 with a 4.4 yards per carry. Post averaged 4.8. And Post had better numbers that year than Leroy Kelly and a fellow named O.J. Simpson.

I read at the time Dickie Post had knee operations after each of his first two seasons, both pretty good. His knees were shot after 1969.
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

2001 Chicago Bears. 13-3

The only year in a 9 season stretch (1996-2004) that the Bears had a winning record. Making liberal use of the term "The Ball bounces your way" all season, the Bears scrapped their way to unbelievable wins. They also had 3 individuals that season who could qualify for 1 year wonders: Jim Miller, Anthony Thomas, and Marty Booker.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The only year in a 9 season stretch (1996-2004) that the Bears had a winning record. Making liberal use of the term "The Ball bounces your way" all season, the Bears scrapped their way to unbelievable wins. They also had 3 individuals that season who could qualify for 1 year wonders: Jim Miller, Anthony Thomas, and Marty Booker.
This post reminded me of the 2007 Browns who had a nearly identical scenario. A 10-6 season that was the only time they won more than 5 games between 2004-2013. Their 3 one year wonder players on offense were Derek Anderson, Kellen Winslow and Braylon Edwards. Nearly half of Derek Anderson's career TD passes came that season. (29 out of 60)
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Favorite One-Hit Wonder player is Steelers QB Tommy Maddox. Had a breakout 2002 season and won the NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award. Led the Steelers to 10-5-1 record and an appearance in the AFC Divisional Round, after orchestrating a comeback from down 24-7 against the Browns the week prior. Maddox remains one of my favorite NFL players of all-time.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

One player I think deserve to be in this discussion is John Settle, RB for the Atlanta Falcons from 1987-1990. In 1988 he became the first undrafted player in NFL history to rush for 1,000 yards. He was selected for the Pro Bowl after that season, yet his career finished two years later, rushing for only 705 yards between those two seasons.
Last edited by Gary Najman on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

Rashaan Salaam
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Gideon Smith (1915 - just one game Canton v. Massillon)
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

They probably don't qualify since they made the playoffs the following season, but I really liked the 1995 Colts. Scrappy team with a lot of no name players stepping up and contributing at key moments. Faulk was not his dominant self at all that year. Ran for 1078 with only a 3.7 average per carry. Only 475 receiving yards (Rosie Potts was pretty decent as a bruising backup to him) Harbaugh it seemed would start every game terribly and then lead a furious rally. He played very mistake free football that year.

They did not have a larcenous secondary or a good pass rush but the defense was bend not break. Bunch of middling receivers. Zack Crockett going for an insane 147 yards on 13 carries to stun San Diego. The Lin Elliot miss in KC. Man that team just had a horsehoe up it's rear for the longest time. Would've loved to have seen them in the Super Bowl.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Bobby Burnett has a fantastic rookie season in which he won AFL ROTY. Next year he suffers a horrific knee injury and is never the same again. He played in three more pro games after that.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."