Rams wore white horn helmets Thursday night

Steviek

Rams wore white horn helmets Thursday night

Post by Steviek »

Last night the Rams wore their classic 1960s-early 70s white horned helmets as part of their white "color rush" uniforms (opposite the Seahawks neon puke greens).

Anyway I couldn't helped but think how great and clean the helmet looked. I could be wrong here, but it may have been the first time the Rams have worn those helmets since the final game of the 1972 season. Of course the next year they switched team colors from blue and white to blue and yellow.
JohnR

Re: Rams wore white horn helmets Thursday night

Post by JohnR »

I recall not liking the change in 1973. (Was I an old curmudgeon at age 13? Maybe.) I liked the yellow throwback jerseys trotted out for the 75th anniversary season. Those look good w/ the yellow & blue helmet.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Here's a rare photo from 8/22/64, since it's the only game that shows the Cowboys in their original jerseys and the Rams in their then-new home whites. The Cowboys didn't start wearing their new jerseys until the regular season.
Attachments
RamsCowboys.jpg
RamsCowboys.jpg (114.22 KiB) Viewed 12470 times
Apbaball

Post by Apbaball »

JohnR wrote:I recall not liking the change in 1973. (Was I an old curmudgeon at age 13? Maybe.) I liked the yellow throwback jerseys trotted out for the 75th anniversary season. Those look good w/ the yellow & blue helmet.
I thought the same thing in 1973. The home blue and white looked sharp.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

The blue and whites are my favorite Rams unis, too. They had a clean and classy look to them. Also, the team looked bigger and more intimidating in those than they did in the blue and yellow unis.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Never really loved the white and blue Rams look. Always though it perhaps had something to do with being in step with the L.A. Dodgers but for me the Rams should always be yellow and blue. To me it was as if they downgraded from color TV to black and white.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Never really loved the white and blue Rams look. Always though it perhaps had something to do with being in step with the L.A. Dodgers but for me the Rams should always be yellow and blue. To me it was as if they downgraded from color TV to black and white.
I'll take it a step further... I'm probably the only one that really likes the current unis. I thought that switching the yellow to gold in 2000 added a bit of pizzazz to an otherwise boring uniform. Sort of as if the 49ers had yellow as their helmet color instead of gold... and then they switch to gold. Definitely a major improvement. I'm not a fan of the "non-traditional" numerals though.
JWL

Post by JWL »

sheajets wrote:Never really loved the white and blue Rams look. Always though it perhaps had something to do with being in step with the L.A. Dodgers but for me the Rams should always be yellow and blue. To me it was as if they downgraded from color TV to black and white.
I also find the yellow and blue to be most eye-pleasing.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

ChrisBabcock wrote: I'll take it a step further... I'm probably the only one that really likes the current unis. I thought that switching the yellow to gold in 2000 added a bit of pizzazz to an otherwise boring uniform. Sort of as if the 49ers had yellow as their helmet color instead of gold... and then they switch to gold. Definitely a major improvement. I'm not a fan of the "non-traditional" numerals though.
Its funny how humans (myself especially) struggle to outgrow the traditions with which we grew up.
The current Rams outfits just seem "wrong" to me and the one pictured above seem oh-so-perfect... because I came of age rooting for the George Allen L.A. Rams.

Oddly enough, my favorite college football uniforms are... the Colorado State Rams who wear a green and gold version of the current Rams unis.
Go figure.
JWL

Post by JWL »

JuggernautJ wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:Oddly enough, my favorite college football uniforms are... the Colorado State Rams who wear a green and gold version of the current Rams unis.
Go figure.
When the helmet logo looked more like actual ram horns it was great.