HOF Finalists named

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
jeckle_and_heckle

Re: HOF Finalists named

Post by jeckle_and_heckle »

bachslunch wrote:
Should say that I can definitely see HoF cases for Robert Kraft (who looks kind of like Jones without the more obvious negatives)...
Honestly, I can't. Jones' personality rubs people the wrong way but I think he's championed the league to a certain degree over the years. And while I respect what Kraft has done with the Patriots franchise in terms of getting a new stadium and making it a pleasant place to watch a football game compared to where it was prior, if he hadn't hired Belichick and got lucky in the draft with Brady, would he even be considered a top tier owner?
"ROGER THAT"
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

jeckle_and_heckle wrote:
bachslunch wrote:
Should say that I can definitely see HoF cases for Robert Kraft (who looks kind of like Jones without the more obvious negatives)...
Honestly, I can't. Jones' personality rubs people the wrong way but I think he's championed the league to a certain degree over the years. And while I respect what Kraft has done with the Patriots franchise in terms of getting a new stadium and making it a pleasant place to watch a football game compared to where it was prior, if he hadn't hired Belichick and got lucky in the draft with Brady, would he even be considered a top tier owner?
My understanding is that he has also done a lot of committee work, particularly instrumental on the 2011 NFL labor negotiations.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Reaser wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:Speaking of HOF worthiness of owners... How's this for an outside the box potential supersenior candidate?:... Ralph Hay
It's 'funny' that the PFHOF renamed an award after Ralph Hay (Ralph Hay Pioneer Award) when they haven't elected him to the HOF.
If by "funny" you guys mean "kind of sad" then, yeah.
At least he has his own website: http://ralphhaynfl.com/
where, apparently, one can buy one's very own Ralp Hay/Canton Bulldogs Memorial Placemat....

http://ralphhaynfl.com/wp-content/uploa ... acemat.jpg
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Bump in this sort of old thread...
Maybe he's been discussed here before, but why is there never any consideration for Zach Thomas? I have to be missing something. 5/7/2nd team 00's. I don't get it.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

ChrisBabcock wrote:Bump in this sort of old thread...
Maybe he's been discussed here before, but why is there never any consideration for Zach Thomas? I have to be missing something. 5/7/2nd team 00's. I don't get it.
Agreed, neither do I. Does he look bad in film study or something?
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

ChrisBabcock wrote:Bump in this sort of old thread...
On the surface, those individual honors and high tackle totals sounds like a HOF candidate. But Zach Thomas was clearly below Dolphins teammate Jason Taylor, who will eventually reach Canton. He was more of a workmanlike linebacker, rarely tackling ballcarriers for negative yardage. No one was afraid of Thomas, but very good players shouldn't be inducted into Canton. I'm struggling to think of his signature moments in big games. Closer in quality to London Fletcher instead of a HOF inside linebacker.Thomas really maximized his ability, but wasn't a great player in the sense of taking over games with jarring hits and shutting outstanding backs.
JohnTurney

Tough year to predict

Post by JohnTurney »

Tags and Jones in some trouble

But...best guess

Tags
Jones
Easley
Jacoby
Davis
LT
Coryell
Warner
HBGFBFAN

Re: Tough year to predict

Post by HBGFBFAN »

JohnTurney wrote:Tags and Jones in some trouble

But...best guess

Tags
Jones
Easley
Jacoby
Davis
LT
Coryell
Warner
Who is in better shape between Jones and Tags?
bachslunch

Re: Tough year to predict

Post by bachslunch »

JohnTurney wrote:Tags and Jones in some trouble
Geez, just what they need. They've had enough trouble getting the Seniors in lately (Stanfel, Humphrey). If they aren't going to vote in the Contributor nominees, that makes it worse for this category and the Seniors losing out on other slots. And if they miss out, the committee will probably keep nominating these folks until they force them in like they did with Stanfel.

They really need to direct elect folks in these two categories and bypass the regular committee. It just doesn't seem to work well the current way.