Steelers up

JohnTurney

Steelers up

Post by JohnTurney »

ChrisBabcock

Re: Steelers up

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I was looking forward to this one. Interesting to see Bill Dudley get a spot on the team on both sides of the ball.
paulksandiego

Post by paulksandiego »

Glad to see Gary Dunn get credit for his '82 season.

John, why no honorable mention for Jon Kolb? Just curious. Do you think he was overated?
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

As much as I love him it was something of a surprise to see Eugene "Big Daddy" Lipscomb rated ahead of Ernie Stautner.
But I guess that's what happens when you look at "best season" compared to "best" career.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

paulksandiego wrote:Glad to see Gary Dunn get credit for his '82 season.

John, why no honorable mention for Jon Kolb? Just curious. Do you think he was overated?
He and Sam Davis? And how about Rick Moser on special teams? Yes, just two seasons but very notable work - '78 AFCC comes to mind (perhaps I'm biased because 'Dazed and Confused' is one of my all-time favorite flicks).

That said, like all other 'ups' that I've seen, John, so MUCH respect for your take! So much!! To be an honorable-mention is all-too complimentary enough and LOVE all those who you metioned! Way too many many to mention whom I'm glad you mentioned. As ridiculously awesome as Antonio Brown has been in this super-pass-friendly era (and would have been a force in '77 as well no doubt; already ahead of Megatron/Moss/TO in my unbiased opinion; and Rice should at least give rear-view mirror a quick glance just for the heck of it), makes sense to place Swann at #1 and, while at it, why not Stallworth as well?? If both play in this era (especially pound-for-pound), they destroy opposing defenses! Tunch Ilkin...the Don Mattingly of the Steelers - (sort-of) in reverse! Yes, Don joins Yanks year after Reggie leaves, then retires the year before Joe Torre/'96. Tunch joins the 'Burgh (albeit not making team at first) the year after their 4th Ring, then is gone (no, not a year before but) the year after Cowher's arrival. He was at his best during the nadir ('88) of the Noll Era.

Very glad Jim Smith and Theo Bell were mentioned. Watching Raiders/Steelers MNF 1980 game relatively recently, couldn't help but think it was Swann/Stallworth in-disguise. Same could be said that game with Robin Cole! '80 Steelers had such depth! Not too far from being SB-win-worthy, but it simply just wasn't enough.

Extremely glad Heath Miller and Aaron Smith are BOTH #1 respectively! Totally accept both not ever being in Canton. I guess I get it (I guess). Just that Heath simply blocked even more than Hines. Respect him more than Gonzalez, Gates, etc I don't care what anyone says! Aaron also doesn't have the stats nor numbers to back-up his true importance on D (even more-so than Troy P) while with the 'Burgh! Willie Williams (got "picked on" because he was a rookie in '95, got "picked on" because he was a vet in '05)...pretty glad he gets mention as well - only Steeler to be officially in roster in SBXXX and SBXL.

Erenburg? I, confessionally, don't remember at all. I guess he was Abercrombie's blocker. Of course I know (and was a big fan of) Mewelde Moore! Huntley? Yes, the one who almost got the Bus out the 'Burgh! John Henry Johnson...HELL yeah!!

Neil O (at least going into SBXXX) should be mentioned! He was Phil Simms-on-steriods prior. Yancey? Whether opposing teams actually read it or not, didn't he (sort of) "write the book" on Deion (cross-pattern) before halftime??

Could go on forever mentioning why your take is so good but will end it here (at risk of not mentioning others).

Charlie Bradshaw not realted to Terry...could fool me.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Kolb is an error, I deleted it late, then too weary to think, I did the Eagles last night, too . . .so just a screw up by me. I also didn't put in honors or stats for the oline, so I will go back and add those in, where I have them. I jsut got in a big hurry and messed up
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:

He and Sam Davis? And how about Rick Moser on special teams? Yes, just two seasons but very notable work - '78 AFCC comes to mind (perhaps I'm biased because 'Dazed and Confused' is one of my all-time favorite flicks).

I almost put in Moser, but I just didn't find enough and the Dazed and Confused thing was on my mind, too (Don't forget BJ and the Bear in 1981) Sam Davis was thought about, too, but he never got any honors and I honestly wouldn't know what year to pick.

And Neil O was on the list, I just didn't do a good job of explanations for a lot of the offense. I should go back and do that, Maybe will reconsider Moser at some point

Also, I almsot put Donnie Shell on HM for STs for his first few years, but need to do more research to see some big plays.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Eagerly awaiting the Bears, Cardinals, Packers and Giants. No hurry. No pressure. ;)
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Two of my favorite Steelers on those great 70's teams were John Stallworth and Donnie Shell. They both made a lot of big plays for Pittsburgh.