Milwaukee Journal & Milwaukee Sentinel No longer available

Apbaball

Milwaukee Journal & Milwaukee Sentinel No longer available

Post by Apbaball »

A great source of old information just dried up as the Milwaukee Journal and Milwaukee Sentinel are no longer available on Google News Archives.

I have passed on my complaint to the Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel and would encourage others to do so as well.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Re: Milwaukee Journal & Milwaukee Sentinel No longer availab

Post by Mark L. Ford »

I hate that too. I was glad that I got a lot of research done before the Miami News abruptly disappeared a couple of years ago, and the Milwaukee papers were indispensable for people who were researching the recent book about Packers. I'm hoping that the Pittsburgh Press and Pittsburgh Post-Gazette aren't the next ones to vanish.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Same thing happened to me. I had a web archive file that was working one day and literally the next day when I tried it, it wasn't:

"The Milwaukee Sentinel - Google News Archive Search"

I had several other similar files saved from other papers, so I went back and took screenshots.

So the newspapers decide whether to participate in Google News? I'm surprised how few newspapers are digitally available for free. And the services like newspapers.com seem kind of pricey and kind of hit and miss that they will have what you want anyway. I would really have thought that library science professionals would want these things preserved digitally, but instead it seems the vast majority are micro film only.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

I imagine Google had rights to it for a set number of years and since they long ago abandoned any updates, they weren't about to renew the rights. FWIW, the Journal/Sentinel are available on Genealogy Bank, which is roughly $50 to $70 a year.

Last year some time, the Miami News also disappeared from Google Archive.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Bastards ...

https://news.google.com/newspapers

I have used this site extensively over the past several years ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Thanks for the info on Google News - I had no idea. Anyone else use any pay services that are good?
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Thanks for the info on Google News - I had no idea. Anyone else use any pay services that are good?
Newspapers.com (my favorite) - Arizona Republic (Phoenix), Chicago Tribune (though 1922), Cincinnati Enquirer, Detroit Free Press, Green Bay Press-Gazette, Indianapolis Star, Kansas City Star, Kansas City Times (through 1976), Los Angeles Times, Pittsburgh Post Gazette, Pittsburgh Press, St.Louis Post-Dispatch, The Tennessean (Nashville).
Genealogy Bank - Cleveland Plain Dealer, Dallas Morning News (through 1984), Houston Chronicle (1963 only), Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (through 1968), New Orleans Times-Picayune (through 1988), San Diego Union, Seattle Daily Times (through 1984), Washington Evening Star, Washington Times.
Last edited by TodMaher on Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Same thing happened to me. I had a web archive file that was working one day and literally the next day when I tried it, it wasn't:

"The Milwaukee Sentinel - Google News Archive Search"

I had several other similar files saved from other papers, so I went back and took screenshots.

So the newspapers decide whether to participate in Google News? I'm surprised how few newspapers are digitally available for free. And the services like newspapers.com seem kind of pricey and kind of hit and miss that they will have what you want anyway. I would really have thought that library science professionals would want these things preserved digitally, but instead it seems the vast majority are micro film only.
Remembering the days of interlibrary loans, newspapers.com and sites like it are a bargain.
Are they hit and miss - yes, but geez, I remembering trying to do interlibrary loans trying to find a library that would lend was a "fingers-crossed" affair.
And then 10 to 25 dents to print out a single page!
JKelly

Post by JKelly »

Yes this is a very frustrating development. One source still available on Google and is good for Dolphins & Buccaneers info along with other NFL items is the Lakeland Ledger.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JeffreyMiller wrote:https://news.google.com/newspapers

I have used this site extensively over the past several years ...
Same. It used to be great, still usable but has gone way downhill over the years, as well.

Of the pay sites Newspapers.com is my favorite largely because I rarely have to pay for it. You can have a free account to search for things and you can see the info in the preview box which a lot of time answers my question or provides info/confirmation of what I was looking for. You can also get the free week trial so when I really needed to use it I always had the free trial available and would just buckle down and pull every piece of information I needed/wanted when specifically working on a project.