1970-1972 49ers

CSKreager

1970-1972 49ers

Post by CSKreager »

The John Brodie/Gene Washington/Dick Nolan 49ers that won 3 straight NFC West titles in the early 70s:

1. How good really were those teams?

2. Why were they able to briefly surpass the Rams (Remember just a year prior they were undefeated deep into the '69 season)?

3. Had they gotten by Dallas in either of those postseasons, how would they have fared going forward?

In other words, what happens if the 1970/1971 teams played the Colts/Dolphins in Super Bowls V and VI? Do we still get a Blunder Bowl if it's Brodie/Unitas at the Orange Bowl?

And had the '72 49ers recovered that onside kick against Dallas, do they beat Washington in the NFC Championship game and do they get their shot at the perfect Dolphins in the SB?
7DnBrnc53

Re: 1970-1972 49ers

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

CSKreager wrote:The John Brodie/Gene Washington/Dick Nolan 49ers that won 3 straight NFC West titles in the early 70s:

2. Why were they able to briefly surpass the Rams (Remember just a year prior they were undefeated deep into the '69 season)?

3. Had they gotten by Dallas in either of those postseasons, how would they have fared going forward?

In other words, what happens if the 1970/1971 teams played the Colts/Dolphins in Super Bowls V and VI? Do we still get a Blunder Bowl if it's Brodie/Unitas at the Orange Bowl?

And had the '72 49ers recovered that onside kick against Dallas, do they beat Washington in the NFC Championship game and do they get their shot at the perfect Dolphins in the SB?
I wasn't born yet for those first two seasons (and was a baby when they lost to Dallas in the playoffs the third time), but the impression that I get is that 1970 was their best chance at a ring out of those three years. I think they could have defeated the Colts in SB V.

As for 72, though, I don't see them winning in Washington if they get by Dallas. However, I have a question: Would a win over Dallas in the 72 playoffs change the vibe a little bit (to where they make a better run at a WC), or was that team too old by then?
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
CSKreager wrote:The John Brodie/Gene Washington/Dick Nolan 49ers that won 3 straight NFC West titles in the early 70s:

I wasn't born yet for those first two seasons (and was a baby when they lost to Dallas in the playoffs the third time), but the impression that I get is that 1970 was their best chance at a ring out of those three years. I think they could have defeated the Colts in SB V.

As for 72, though, I don't see them winning in Washington if they get by Dallas. However, I have a question: Would a win over Dallas in the 72 playoffs change the vibe a little bit (to where they make a better run at a WC), or was that team too old by then?
In 1972, they needed 37-year-old Brodie to come off the bench in the regular season finale and throw two touchdowns in the fourth quarter (the last with less than a minute left) just to get into the playoffs. He was done after the following year and Spurrier had never been able to handle the job--on a regular basis anyway.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

BD Sullivan wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:

In 1972, they needed 37-year-old Brodie to come off the bench in the regular season finale and throw two touchdowns in the fourth quarter (the last with less than a minute left) just to get into the playoffs. He was done after the following year and Spurrier had never been able to handle the job--on a regular basis anyway.
'73 a major fall-off. I once saw early-'70s Steelers highlights and one of them included the Curtain, in their white jerseys, pummeling Spurrier. Very safe to say it was the season-finale he playing mop-up; only went 1-for-9 on the day. SF definitely victims of the 'Burgh in the '70s. They give new owner DeBartolo a rude welcome opening day '77 and a year later on MNF they come to a Candlestick and add a little more to what the city's already been through with Jonestown and Milk/Moscone assassinations.

It would have been an interesting matchup had Steelers played them in '72. Both weren't too far from actually playing each other that January. I guess '70 was their best shot at winning-it-all (they buried Raiders at Oakland in season-finale), but that doesn't mean they automatically beat 'sloppy' Colts. Perhaps Colts' D would have caused them to play sloppy as well hence SBV still being a 'blunder bowl'.

Super Bowl V...would still like to see that entire game. I know I'd enjoy.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Had the 70 49ers reached the Super Bowl, they might have fallen victim to the "lucky to be here" mentality that afflicted a number of first-time teams. Both Baltimore and Dallas were desperate to win, with the Colts looking to erase the stink from two years earlier and the Boys looking to finally discard the "Next Year's Champion" title. I've often wondered if that had anything to do with their bumbling performances. I would think the Colts would be more primed to play the Niners, since they definitely weren't going to take them lightly, considering what happened against the Jets.
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

When Dick Nolan took over as the 49ers' head coach in 1968, he inherited a solid core of veterans like Jim Johnson, John Brodie, Ken Willard, Roland Lakes, Charlie Krueger, Dave Wilcox and Roland Lakes. Each of the drafts in his early years were productive and yielded solid starters, including 1968 (Forrest Blue, Tommy Hart), 1969 (Ted Kwalick and Gene Washington) and 1970 (Cedrick Hardman and Bruce Taylor). By the time 1972 rolled around, the veteran core had started to show signs of aging, and the first round draft picks in 1971 (Tim Anderson), 1972 (Terry Beasley) and 1973 (Mike Holmes) were all busts. At the risk of pimping my own work, I wrote an article about Dick Nolan ("Man of Many Seasons") that ran in the Coffin Corner 10 or so years ago. He played with my father at Maryland during their glory years in the early 50s, and I sat with him in the stands at a 50th reunion of their 1953 national championship reunion at a Terp game in 2003. Interesting reminiscing with him (still haunted by Dallas recovering an onside kick in their 1972 playoff game) before the Alzheimers kicked in...he had a serious "bourbon tan"!
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Shipley wrote:When Dick Nolan took over as the 49ers' head coach in 1968, he inherited a solid core of veterans like Jim Johnson, John Brodie, Ken Willard, Roland Lakes, Charlie Krueger, Dave Wilcox and Roland Lakes. Each of the drafts in his early years were productive and yielded solid starters, including 1968 (Forrest Blue, Tommy Hart), 1969 (Ted Kwalick and Gene Washington) and 1970 (Cedrick Hardman and Bruce Taylor). By the time 1972 rolled around, the veteran core had started to show signs of aging, and the first round draft picks in 1971 (Tim Anderson), 1972 (Terry Beasley) and 1973 (Mike Holmes) were all busts. At the risk of pimping my own work, I wrote an article about Dick Nolan ("Man of Many Seasons") that ran in the Coffin Corner 10 or so years ago. He played with my father at Maryland during their glory years in the early 50s, and I sat with him in the stands at a 50th reunion of their 1953 national championship reunion at a Terp game in 2003. Interesting reminiscing with him (still haunted by Dallas recovering an onside kick in their 1972 playoff game) before the Alzheimers kicked in...he had a serious "bourbon tan"!
Yeah, you're really going to pull in some big bucks by pimping your own work :D
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Shipley wrote:By the time 1972 rolled around, the veteran core had started to show signs of aging, and the first round draft picks in 1971 (Tim Anderson), 1972 (Terry Beasley) and 1973 (Mike Holmes) were all busts.
Mike Holmes was drafted as a DB and was indeed a bust with the 49ers. He did, however, become a tremendous wide receiver with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. He was fast, fluid and graceful, with great hands. He was voted into the team's HoF in 2002.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

JohnH19 wrote:
Shipley wrote:By the time 1972 rolled around, the veteran core had started to show signs of aging, and the first round draft picks in 1971 (Tim Anderson), 1972 (Terry Beasley) and 1973 (Mike Holmes) were all busts.
Mike Holmes was drafted as a DB and was indeed a bust with the 49ers. He did, however, become a tremendous wide receiver with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. He was fast, fluid and graceful, with great hands. He was voted into the team's HoF in 2002.
Another 49ers draft pick from that time that excelled in the CFL was defensive lineman Mike Raines (6th rounder in 1974). After his rookie season he moved up north and was an All-Star with the Ottawa Rough Riders. Like Holmes, he moved to the USFL in 1983, but he played all three years of the league's existence (Holmes retired after 1983).