RIP Marion Campbell

74_75_78_79_

RIP Marion Campbell

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Leaves us right after Buddy. His role as a two-way player always seems to be overshadowed by Chuck Bednarik as the case with his status as a defensive mind - in comparison to Buddy himself amongst other DCs. Did struggle as a HC as we all know. Big question everyone always had was why Atlanta rehired him again after firing him 10 years prior. However, like I stated a few times already, his time as HC with Philly may very well have warranted Braman giving him another year in '86 as well as inspiring Atlanta to give him another try, also considering his work as a DC playing a huge role in Philly's 4-year playoff-run '78-thru-'81. He did take over a core group of veterans in '83 who were already aging in '80 (SB year). Opening day victory at San Fran as well as a 4-2 start (all wins on road) his first year, not bad at all 6-9-1 campaign in '84 (Jaws suffering season-ending broken-leg injury late-Nov; Birds 1-3 from there) then that 6-5 start in '85 (beating Dallas & Wash) before it unfortunately fell apart down the stretch.

Question I do have...what offense position did he play? I'll assume OT and if so, left or right? Did he also play both-ways for the Niners?
Gary Najman

Re: RIP Marion Campbell

Post by Gary Najman »

I think he was the worst HC I had the chance to watch previous to David Shula. But as you said, his defenses in Philadelphia were very underrated. From resurrecting Claude Humphrey when everybody thought he was washed up, to making unheralded NT Charlie Johnson an All-Pro (plus having stalwart Carl Hairston at DE, another underrated player), to having possibly one of the top 4 linebackers tandem in a 3-4 defense NFL history (Jerry Robinson, John Bunting, Frank LeMaster and Bill Bergey).

As for Atlanta, in his first year in his second tenure he got rookie undrafted LB Jessie Tuggle from Valdosta State, who played 14 seasons in Atlanta, making 5 Pro Bowls.