Book Review

JoeZagorski

Book Review

Post by JoeZagorski »

This message is for John Maxymuk:

John, I looked on Library Review, but could not find your review of my book. Any info as to what I may be doing wrong in my efforts to locate it? Thanks.

Sincerely,
Joe Zagorski
John Maxymuk

Re: Book Review

Post by John Maxymuk »

Joe:

The annual football roundup I do for LJ runs in the August issue. I'm not sure when it gets posted online.

That said, I would recommend Joe's book to everyone on the forum. It's a thorough history of the NFL in the 1970s.

JM
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

Thanks for the clarification John. Thanks also for the plug for my book! It was great seeing you again last week at Lambeau!

Joe Zagorski
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

John Maxymuk wrote:Joe:

The annual football roundup I do for LJ runs in the August issue. I'm not sure when it gets posted online.

That said, I would recommend Joe's book to everyone on the forum. It's a thorough history of the NFL in the 1970s.

JM
I'll look for it!
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Saw it on Amazon. Ought to order it. Then give my review.

Not just Steelers vs Dallas on cover, but Rocky vs Dallas (and he forwarding it)! Yes, I ought to order.

That '66 Packers looks good too!

If I were to ever - Heaven forbid - actually write a football book, I think it'd be about the first four seasons of the 16-game era ('78 thru '81). A nice little changing-of-the-guard period-piece. And being that his last season as a coach was in '78 ('Holy Roller' being among the first things I'd mention in the '78 section) and he and Pat announcing SBXVI, it'd make absolute sense to have John Madden himself forward it. If Bill Walsh were still with us, he'd be a good candidate too.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Saw it on Amazon. Ought to order it. Then give my review.

Not just Steelers vs Dallas on cover, but Rocky vs Dallas (and he forwarding it)! Yes, I ought to order.

If I were to ever - Heaven forbid - actually write a football book, I think it'd be about the first four seasons of the 16-game era ('78 thru '81). A nice little changing-of-the-guard period-piece. And being that his last season as a coach was in '78 ('Holy Roller' being among the first things I'd mention in the '78 section) and he and Pat announcing SBXVI, it'd make absolute sense to have John Madden himself forward it. If Bill Walsh were still with us, he'd be a good candidate too.
That would be an interesting topic for a football book for me, as those four years coincided with my high school education as I graduated in 1982.

I asked Joe last weekend about getting Rocky to write the foreword, and he said he first approached somebody associated with Staubach about asking Roger to write it, but never heard back from them. In a way I can understand that, as Staubach is a very busy guy who is worth about three quarter of a billion dollars and is being asked to write a foreword for an (I believe unpublished) author; he probably gets one of those type requests a week. He said he contacted Rocky's secretary and Rocky said he would do it. Rocky was a good choice, I told him, in that Rocky along with Bradshaw are the most talkative of the Steelers about the 70's teams. Franco is kinda private and doesn't do a lot of interviews and when you do get him in front of a camera he is kinda reserved, same with most of the other guys, but like Bradshaw, Rocky went into broadcasting as soon as he retired (albeit locally in the Pittsburgh area) and can paint the picture. I haven't read his book yet but bought a copy and plan to read it soon.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:Saw it on Amazon. Ought to order it. Then give my review.

That would be an interesting topic for a football book for me, as those four years coincided with my high school education as I graduated in 1982.

I asked Joe last weekend about getting Rocky to write the foreword, and he said he first approached somebody associated with Staubach about asking Roger to write it, but never heard back from them. In a way I can understand that, as Staubach is a very busy guy who is worth about three quarter of a billion dollars and is being asked to write a foreword for an (I believe unpublished) author; he probably gets one of those type requests a week. He said he contacted Rocky's secretary and Rocky said he would do it. Rocky was a good choice, I told him, in that Rocky along with Bradshaw are the most talkative of the Steelers about the 70's teams. Franco is kinda private and doesn't do a lot of interviews and when you do get him in front of a camera he is kinda reserved, same with most of the other guys, but like Bradshaw, Rocky went into broadcasting as soon as he retired (albeit locally in the Pittsburgh area) and can paint the picture. I haven't read his book yet but bought a copy and plan to read it soon.
High school years coincided with those four years?? Very cool! For me...measley 2nd-grade through 5th, 4th grade (1980) being my first season (and as a Steeler-fan mind you - perfect timing). Very cool it was during your high school years. Kind of like being a freshman when "Strawberry Fields" came out and being a senior when 'Let it Be'/break-up took place (or...being a freshman when Beatles debuted on Sullivan and graduated when Sgt Peppers came out - whole WORLD suddenly being in-color/Wizard of Oz).

Staubach not getting back? I'm sure it was because he was too busy (would have been more-than willing otherwise) but if not, I can very respectably understand. Kind of like Pete Townshend 'resenting' Led Zeppelin (Steelers) for stepping in just when they thought maybe they'd 'own' the '70s now that the Beatles (Packers) were out the way. Total Class Act, American Hero (fought for US), and with that...a serious COMPETITOR! Hates losing as ANY American should! Hearing him talk about those SBs vs the 'Burgh you can understandably tell there's resentment. When the Pack beat us in SBXLV and he handed the Lombardi to them, you can clearly tell in his smile that he was glad he was giving it to them instead of the other team (after all, he wasn't with Dallas yet for the 'Ice Bowl' nor the NFL Title Game prior). Still a lot of heartache going around in '91 amongst Landry's former players over his firing years prior but I remember before kickoff that Thanksgiving game, Roger saying with a smile that he hopes Dallas beats Pittsburgh today. I'd be the same way if I were him and I'll never be 1/10th the man he'll ever be.

Yes, all of you on this site have to do one thing if you never want me to possibly try to write this thing in the first place - never TEMPT me! Not the greatest writer anyway. But that would be the 'book' I'd write if ever were to write one. If ever an 'MVP' of those very four years to be chosen, there would obviously be just one! You all know who he is. Place him on the cover! Colored photo of him in his (Love Ya) Blue home #34 jersey, sensibly against Denver! And on the back cover...a nice colored pic of that Eagles/Falcons '78 match! Yes, the first two wild card games on each cover respectively hence a reminder of the new era at-hand. 'Sweet Sixteen: A Thorough Analysis on the First Four NFL Seasons of the 16-game Era' or maybe call it 'Holy Roller' instead of 'Sweet Sixteen'. Or maybe neither should be the title, lol.

Plenty of work/research would have to be done if I ever were to attempt such a task (it's NOT easy). Would really want to do a comprehensive take on each of those four seasons. Not just 'obvious' stuff. Gathering up plenty of old mags and books. Pre-season, during the season, playoffs/Super Bowl, off-season, etc. Asking you all a bunch of stuff as well (wiki would have to be considered not a bad link but weakest just the same). And whether Madden writes the forward or not (book would have to be very great in the first place), on the very first page it would read..."Dedicated to the Professional Football Researchers Association. Don't know much about football history...but what I do know, is because of them. Thanks to them ALL."

But for now...simply read Zagorski's '70s book, '66 Packers', 'Mavericks, Money, and Men: The AFL, Black Players, and the Evolution of Modern Football', maybe realize I'm not the writer they all are and, instead, simply order and read more books instead of actually trying to write one. We'll see.
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

Some clarification,
Staubach's secretary got back to me and told me that Roger was too busy to write an introduction to my book, because he was working on an introduction to a book that his daughter was writing on him. He was my first choice. I then asked Fran Tarkenton. His secretary told me that he was too busy, because he was working on other projects. I then asked Brent Musburger, but received no reply. Finally, I asked Rocky Bleier, and his secretary told me that Rocky would be happy to do it. I signed Rocky up for the job. A week later, Brent Musburger calls me up. I had to tell him the truth and told him that Rocky already offered to write it. Brent understood completely, and he told me that Rocky was a great choice for the job. I have to admit, it was great talking to the former anchor of The NFL Today! But that's how it all went down. I hope that everyone who buys my book enjoys it. I think it is fairly comprehensive, and I did my best not to take sides on any of the rivalries!
Sincerely,
Joe Zagorski
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

I've ordered a copy.
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

It's 444 pages, and each chapter represents a year in the decade (10 chapters total, plus a prologue, epilogue, bibliographic essay, bibliography, and index). Plenty to read. If you enjoyed watching pro football in the 1970s, you'll like my book.
Joe Zagorski