Why don't the '84 49ers get recgonition/pub of other champ?

ChrisBabcock

Re: Why don't the '84 49ers get recgonition/pub of other cha

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Back to '84, of all the one-loss teams, they were the closest to going undefeated. That lone-loss to Pittsburgh they could have, and honestly should have, easily won. That said, I think as an overall team I'd still have to take the '89 installment. A pretty simple reason but '89 had the WEAPONS on offense.
I've always thought that '89 team came pretty darn close to 16-0 too. Only a 1 point loss to the Rams and 4 points to the Packers.
NWebster

Re: Why don't the '84 49ers get recgonition/pub of other cha

Post by NWebster »

Not much to add to the sentiment - I agree, it just seems odd.

To the facts, the 84 team scored more points than the 89 team and allowed fewer. The DB's, oh they just sent all four DB's to the Pro-Bowl, i mean seriously.

And the loss I always thought was interesting, the teams each had one turnover, the 49ers outgained the Steelers, no odd big plays (I believe the Steelers longest was in the 20's), no defensive TD's, Return TD's. The play of the game was Bryan Hinkle's INT of Montana with a couple minutes left, or more importantly that he picked it off at mid-field and returned it to the three. The Steelers still gouldn't get it in, but Gary Anderson puts them up by three. But Joe cool completes 6 of 7 getting the 49ers to the 20, where Ray Wershing misses the 37 yard field goal. Probably the closest to an undefeated season since 1972. Loved the Bears, loved the D, Miami beat them that day in December, the Steelers squeaked past the 49ers.