You are Mouse Davis in the late-1960's...

Bryan

You are Mouse Davis in the late-1960's...

Post by Bryan »

...you are trying to install the Run-and-Shoot offense. Which current NFL/AFL players would you like to acquire?
Reaser

Re: You are Mouse Davis in the late-1960's...

Post by Reaser »

Bryan wrote:...you are trying to install the Run-and-Shoot offense. Which current NFL/AFL players would you like to acquire?
Can he just acquire anyone and have Lance Alworth, Don Maynard, Mike Garrett or Floyd Little? ... Or Dickie Post?

Or is there a hypothetical Pac NW expansion team with a crazy owner who hires Mouse (before having his famed Hillsboro team)? Then get players like:
Wendell Tucker
Cecil Turner
Dick Daniels (Mouse remembers how good he was in high school on offense)
Ronnie Goodwin
Phil Odle
... and some CFL guys though 'we' are sticking to NFL/AFL here.

Or something in-between? Have access to players like:
Marlin Briscoe (maybe gets to stay at QB? Definitely would be his type of receiver.)
Warren McVea
Dick Gordon
Ben Hawkins
Earl McCullouch
Howard Twilley
Eric Crabtree
and put a favorite of mine on the roster, Billy Gambrell.

Mouse was the OC at Portland State when my good friend (and former HS teammate) played there. Though he played defense.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Warren Welles, Otis Taylor, Gary Garrison, Bob Hayes, Dickie Post.

Add Haven Moses Charlie Taylor ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I'm going to guess that Lamonica and Namath would be the top candidates for a run-and-shoot QB in this scenario. I was thinking Lance Alworth too for WR.

Off subject a bit, but still Mouse Davis related, who ended up winning out in the QB battle (if anyone did win out, that is) for the '85 Denver Gold campaign? Mouse, Denver's HC, was switching off Vince Evans and Bob Gagliano. Who, of these two, started in that lone Gold's playoff game? Or did both switch off there as well? I'm guessing it was Gag's time with the Gold that helped to prolong his NFL career once USFL folded - Mouse bringing him onboard in Detroit during the early Fontes/Sanders years. Leading Lions to that 5-0 finish in '89, I'm sure, helped prolong it even further. I'm guessing he had a letdown year in '90; don't remember for sure, I know they drafted Andre Ware and both Gag and Mouse were gone the year after that. Didn't know that Gag had that long a career, going back to '81. I just remember him in '89, watching him play against Steelers in Week #4 and vaguely remember that 5-game surge to end things; remember him a little after his time in Detroit, I think as a Charger. Either way, a guess he was supposed to be a 'Mouse Davis QB'. Guess it just didn't pan out.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

You mean like:
QB: Sonny Jurgensen
WRs: Charley Taylor, Paul Warfield, Bob Hayes, Fred Biletnikoff
RB: Leroy Kelly

That'd work.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

When thinking about late 60's QB's that - in the R&S offense - would be doing half rolls, the occasional speed/sprint option and that threw with velocity and accuracy. The QB that came to mind as the best fit was Greg Cook. That's the QB I'd want if I'm Mouse Davis (and had a Top 5 pick in the 1969 draft).
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Reaser wrote:When thinking about late 60's QB's that - in the R&S offense - would be doing half rolls, the occasional speed/sprint option and that threw with velocity and accuracy. The QB that came to mind as the best fit was Greg Cook. That's the QB I'd want if I'm Mouse Davis (and had a Top 5 pick in the 1969 draft).
I also was thinking of a more mobile quarterback (Cook would be perfect) but then I recalled one of the two best passes I ever saw thrown was by Jim Kelly running the Houston Gamblers' Run-n-Shoot offense.
If Kelly could run the offense I am betting Jurgensen could too. Maybe.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JuggernautJ wrote:I also was thinking of a more mobile quarterback (Cook would be perfect) but then I recalled one of the two best passes I ever saw thrown was by Jim Kelly running the Houston Gamblers' Run-n-Shoot offense.
If Kelly could run the offense I am betting Jurgensen could too. Maybe.
And Kelly had to do the over-exaggerated first step from center, too. Not the super over-exaggerated that came later with Mouse's R&S, but still different footwork than QB's would have hypothetically been doing in the late 60's (since Lomax didn't do it at Portland State. Just half roll left, half roll right and down the line speed option.)

Don't have to be that mobile, just have to be able to [half] roll left and right. When I picture it, Greg Cook is the fit. There's other good choices too, of course. Plus really anyone can do it, look at the '92 NY/NJ Knights where you had Reggie Slack and Doug Pederson. Different skill sets, ran the same offense and both ran it relatively effectively.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Talk about Greg Cook? Well how about Paul Robinson for your RB?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Reaser wrote: Or something in-between? Have access to players like:
Marlin Briscoe (maybe gets to stay at QB? Definitely would be his type of receiver.)
Warren McVea
Dick Gordon
Ben Hawkins
Earl McCullouch
Howard Twilley
Eric Crabtree
and put a favorite of mine on the roster, Billy Gambrell.

Mouse was the OC at Portland State when my good friend (and former HS teammate) played there. Though he played defense.
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I was looking for the in-between types...the guys who were established NFL players but would have flourished in the run-and-shoot. For whatever reason, Wendell Tucker and Eric Crabtree were the first guys that came into my mind. Greg Cook would have been great as a QB...I was thinking of Bob Griese. Don't know if Bob Trumpy would fit in with the scheme, but his 1969 season with Cook was pretty remarkable.

I've never figured out what type of RB is the "ideal" fit for the run-and-shoot. It seems like the McVea/Post scatback type goes along with the philosophy, but I've always thought a big MacArthur Lane back would be better for both pass protection and running up the middle when the defenses spread out .