wEirD player for player trades

BD Sullivan

Re: wEirD player for player trades

Post by BD Sullivan »

While the Eagles also sent a draft pick, Philly sent Jack Concannon to the Bears for Mike Ditka in April 1967. Pete Retzlaff and Rudy Bukich had just retired, respectively, and Ditka had played out his option. Supposedly, Halas had his choice between any of the Eagle QB's, including King Hill and Norm Snead (HIM AGAIN) and chose Concannon.

Considering he seemed to always be sort of a fools' gold for teams, here's Snead's trading history:

1964: Traded to Philly for Jurgensen
1971: Traded to Minnesota for T Steve Smith, a #2 (Henry Allison) and #6 (Wyck Neely) in '71 and a #3 (Bobby Majors) in '72
1972: Traded to Giants as part of the Tarkenton deal
1974: Traded to 49ers for a #3 (Danny Buggs) in '75 and a #4 (Gordon Bell) in '76 (after NYG traded for Craig Morton)

1976: Cut by SF and picked up by NYG after Jerry Golsteyn hurt his knee.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

BD Sullivan wrote:While the Eagles also sent a draft pick, Philly sent Jack Concannon to the Bears for Mike Ditka in April 1967. Pete Retzlaff and Rudy Bukich had just retired, respectively, and Ditka had played out his option. Supposedly, Halas had his choice between any of the Eagle QB's, including King Hill and Norm Snead (HIM AGAIN) and chose Concannon.

Considering he seemed to always be sort of a fools' gold for teams, here's Snead's trading history:

1964: Traded to Philly for Jurgensen
1971: Traded to Minnesota for T Steve Smith, a #2 (Henry Allison) and #6 (Wyck Neely) in '71 and a #3 (Bobby Majors) in '72
1972: Traded to Giants as part of the Tarkenton deal
1974: Traded to 49ers for a #3 (Danny Buggs) in '75 and a #4 (Gordon Bell) in '76 (after NYG traded for Craig Morton)

1976: Cut by SF and picked up by NYG after Jerry Golsteyn hurt his knee.
This has me wondering ...

1) What player was traded the most times in his career?

2) What player, over the course of his entire career, was traded for the a) most total draft picks and b) most total players*?

(* - players plus picks, not sure how to factor in multi-player trades)

My initial guess for 2a would be Ricky Williams, as Ditka traded eight picks for the draft position to pick him and Miami then traded four more picks to the Saints for him.

And now that I am typing, Q.3 is ... how to phrase this ... what traded draft pick was re-traded to the greatest effect, however you want to measure that? It could be greatest number of bodies in camp as a result of the parlay, or greatest number of players making the roster, greatest number of starters, Pro Bowlers, All Pros, etc. Somebody must have worked this one out.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Ronfitch wrote: This has me wondering ...

Just a guess off the top of my head . . . Chris Chandler?
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Todd Pence wrote:
Ronfitch wrote: This has me wondering ...

Just a guess off the top of my head . . . Chris Chandler?
Chandler was "only" traded twice: in 1990, from Indy to TB and in 1997, from the Oilers to Falcons. The other moves were after getting cut, free agency, etc.

Steve DeBerg was traded three times: from the Niners to Broncos in 81; Broncos to Bucs in 84; and Bucs to Chiefs in 88.

Milt Plum and Dick Shiner were other three-timers
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Harold Jackson was traded three times:
- 1969 from the Rams to the Eagles
- 1973 from the Eagles (for Roman Gabriel) back to the Rams
- 1978 from the Rams to the Patriots
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Tony Banks managed to play for five different teams without ever once being involved in a trade. Every team wound up releasing him.