Pottsville 1925

Moran

Pottsville 1925

Post by Moran »

I was just looking at the NFL Official Guide from 1935 and I notice that in the historical league standings from 1925, Pottsville is listed as finishing second behind the Cardinals. I thought that since they were suspended they would not show up in the standings.

From 1925: Pottsville Maroons - by Joe Horrigan, Bob Braunwart & Bob Carroll
Dr. J.G. Striegel received a telegram from Joe Carr stating that the Pottsville Maroons had been fined $500, suspended from all rights and privileges (including the right to compete for the championship, of course), and had their franchise forfeited to the league.

I don't want to go over all the arguments in the case, but just wondering why they would still be in the standings if they were suspended and the franchise forfeited?
JeffreyMiller

Re: Pottsville 1925

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Would you pay a fine to an organization that kicked you out?
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
rhickok1109

Re: Pottsville 1925

Post by rhickok1109 »

Moran wrote:I was just looking at the NFL Official Guide from 1935 and I notice that in the historical league standings from 1925, Pottsville is listed as finishing second behind the Cardinals. I thought that since they were suspended they would not show up in the standings.

From 1925: Pottsville Maroons - by Joe Horrigan, Bob Braunwart & Bob Carroll
Dr. J.G. Striegel received a telegram from Joe Carr stating that the Pottsville Maroons had been fined $500, suspended from all rights and privileges (including the right to compete for the championship, of course), and had their franchise forfeited to the league.

I don't want to go over all the arguments in the case, but just wondering why they would still be in the standings if they were suspended and the franchise forfeited?
Just a guess, but I think it might have something to do with the fact that the suspension and forfeit of the franchise took place after the season, so it didn't apply to what happened in the course of the regular season. Wiping out all of their games would have required completely redoing the won-lost records, winning percentages, and so forth.