Why is Harry Carson in the HOF?

bachslunch

Re: Why is Harry Carson in the HOF?

Post by bachslunch »

Joe, question for you. If Carson doesn't belong in the HoF, who is better from this time? For me, one MLB/ILB over a 20 year period (Singletary) is too thin representation at the position. Am thinking three other players is the least one should enshrine, so who should it be? I'm okay with Carson in, though he strikes me as a big hall type.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Gradishar started out as a MLB, then shifted to the side and also only played 10 seasons. Still, he made the Pro Bowl seven times and was AP Defensive Player of the Year in 1978.

Bill Bergey has never really gotten any (or much) support.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

BD Sullivan wrote:Gradishar started out as a MLB, then shifted to the side and also only played 10 seasons. Still, he made the Pro Bowl seven times and was AP Defensive Player of the Year in 1978.

Bill Bergey has never really gotten any (or much) support.
Bergey played all but one season during the 70s. Gradishar played 4 seasons in the 80s, which may or not make him an 80s ILB.
DukeSlater

Post by DukeSlater »

Personally, I think he belongs in Canton.

I concur about his incessant bitching about not making the HOF was irritating, but his accolades speak highly, IMO.

I don't understand why Carson is in and not Gradishar, though.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Versatile John wrote:Personally, I think he belongs in Canton.

I concur about his incessant bitching about not making the HOF was irritating, but his accolades speak highly, IMO.

I'm still trying to figure out how Carson is in and Joe Klecko and Winston Hill are not (understand, different positions and all).

No disrespect to Harry. He was a solid linebacker but yes, benefitted from LT's otherworldly talent. I guess a good comparison (for you hockey fans here) would be Lafleur/Shutt.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

sheajets wrote:
Versatile John wrote:Personally, I think he belongs in Canton.

I'm still trying to figure out how Carson is in and Joe Klecko and Winston Hill are not (understand, different positions and all).

No disrespect to Harry. He was a solid linebacker but yes, benefitted from LT's otherworldly talent. I guess a good comparison (for you hockey fans here) would be Lafleur/Shutt.
You haver to remember that Carson made two Pro Bowls before Taylor arrived. Of course, he had 5-time Pro Bowler Brad Van Pelt at LOLB as well as fellow ILB Brian Kelley (very underrated).