Deion Sanders' lone career sack

74_75_78_79_

Deion Sanders' lone career sack

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I see he only had one career sack and it was Week #4 in '91, as a Falcon, vs the Raiders. It would have had to come against Jay Schroeder. Can anyone give a description of the play? When in the game was it (what the score was; I see it was a pretty competitive game between two playoff teams to be), what down, for how much of a loss was it for, what defense formation, how often did Glanville have him blitz other than that play, etc? This thread is not designed for critiquing his mythical lack of career tackles (I and I'm sure just about all you know that he had 493 in his career), I'm just curious.
Jay Z

Re: Deion Sanders' lone career sack

Post by Jay Z »

According to the game book, it came on the 3rd play from scrimmage. The Raiders had 3rd and 7 from the 25, Sanders sacked Schroeder for a 7 yard loss and forced a fumble which Jessie Tuggle returned for a 18 yard TD.

I am guessing the play is on the 1991 Falcons highlight tape, which exists on VHS if you really want to track it down.
74_75_78_79_

Re: Deion Sanders' lone career sack

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Yep, just saw it on the NFL Prime Time highlights for that week. Starts off showing Glanville on sideline with Berman saying, "Please allow me to introduce myself" (of course later calling Raiders kicker Mick Jaeger), then immediately showing the play. He came in from the left side, stripped the ball while at the same time colliding into him. Jay hit the ground, Deion stayed on his feet immediately running behind Tuggle into the end zone; Tom Jackson saying he liked when Deion celebrates before going into the endzone. The way it looked, you'd think they'd just consider it a forced fumble and not a sack. Looked like the ball got loose before he hit the ground.

That just so happened to be the week of my first ever NFL game attended so of course I watched the Steelers/Eagles highlight. Showed Eric Green totally burn Andre Waters in the end zone, putting Steelers up 14-7. They then showed Waters on sideline taking his jersey off. What I don't remember about the game, almost 25 years ago now, was that Roy Green played for Philly that game and played pretty good; McMahon hitting him 6-for-100. I also didn't remember Woodson having to leave the game; he collided with Hinkle while trying to cover Roy Green. Highlights showed a quick shot of Mean Joe and Greg Lloyd on sidelines. Also showed a frustrated Joe Walton. All Steelers' offensive output for the day was practically in the 1st Q.

Caught the Saints/Vikings highlight - NO getting major revenge on Burnsie (26-0) for what he did to them in previous meetings. Ironhead Heyward! Remember him? Cameron's dad. He had a big game. On one play, Bobby 'Siskel-and-Hebert' (as Berman called him) threw at block for him at Mike Merriweather. Saints looking good in midst of that 7-0 start. Dick MacPherson not off to a bad start either with 1-15-the-year-before NE. A shame we didn't get to see what he could do in the pros if given time.

Yeah, memories of '91...and that still-in-the-'80s synthed up Prime Time music. Kurt Cobain was just around the corner...