Giants vs Vikes, '67-'71

BD Sullivan

Re: Giants vs Vikes, '67-'71

Post by BD Sullivan »

Evan wrote:5. I also read that John Brodie was available for trade before the 1967 draft too, which doesn’t make sense to me as I think all of his Oilers stuff was settled by then. I also don’t quite get why SF traded up with Atlanta to draft Spurrier, and why Atlanta, in need of a good QB, traded with them. Seems like Spurrier’s stock dropped at some point after he was assumed to be going to the Giants with the top pick.
In early February 1967, Brodie was rumored to be headed to the Giants, with NY supposedly offering their bonus pick--where they were ironically expected to take Spurrier. That faded less than week later when Tarkenton was shipped to the Giants. Just a few days before the draft, the Falcons indicated that they would essentially use Spurrier as trade bait since it was already clear that Baltimore and Minnesota weren't going to take him.

The 49ers had the 11th pick and with the Dolphins picking fourth and Spurrier from Florida... Of course, supposedly Joe Thomas was already set on taking Griese, but it forced SF's hand. They gave up three veterans for the pick--more of a quick fix for Atlanta after their rough first year.

Brodie's contract foibles from the year before, coupled with a DWI arrest in early January were likely a few of the reasons he was available. A perfect example of "the best deal is no deal."
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Bryan wrote:
Its funny to see the names of some of the QBs potentially involved in this trade, most of whom weren't any good. Maybe in retrospect it would have been best for the Giants just to hold on to their 'gift' draft pick and select Bob Griese.
Or, what if Vikings simply chose Greise rather than Clint Jones, imagine his quarterbacking with Vikings from 67-71, maybe they don't even get Tarkenton back in 1972, and Greise rather than Cuozzo and Kapp with that awesome defense?
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

BD Sullivan wrote:
Evan wrote:5. I also read that John Brodie was available for trade before the 1967 draft too, which doesn’t make sense to me as I think all of his Oilers stuff was settled by then. I also don’t quite get why SF traded up with Atlanta to draft Spurrier, and why Atlanta, in need of a good QB, traded with them. Seems like Spurrier’s stock dropped at some point after he was assumed to be going to the Giants with the top pick.
In early February 1967, Brodie was rumored to be headed to the Giants, with NY supposedly offering their bonus pick--where they were ironically expected to take Spurrier. That faded less than week later when Tarkenton was shipped to the Giants. Just a few days before the draft, the Falcons indicated that they would essentially use Spurrier as trade bait since it was already clear that Baltimore and Minnesota weren't going to take him.

The 49ers had the 11th pick and with the Dolphins picking fourth and Spurrier from Florida... Of course, supposedly Joe Thomas was already set on taking Griese, but it forced SF's hand. They gave up three veterans for the pick--more of a quick fix for Atlanta after their rough first year.

Brodie's contract foibles from the year before, coupled with a DWI arrest in early January were likely a few of the reasons he was available. A perfect example of "the best deal is no deal."
Fran Tarkenton had a chapter on this subject in his 1971 book, "Broken Patterns" covering the Giants' 1970 season. Tarkenton said the 49ers planned on replacing John Brodie in 1967 with either George Mira or Steve Spurrier. They ended up staying with Brodie. Tarkenton observed it was the correct decision as Brodie led the 49ers to a divisional title in 1970.

Tarkenton told how even though the 1966 Giants were a horrible team that needed help everywhere, the fans wanted "a hero under center." Thus, the Giants traded for Fran Tarkenton.