Osweiler signing with Texans

74_75_78_79_

Osweiler signing with Texans

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I get it. He's getting more money and gets to 'carve his own niche' out of the 'shadow' of Peyton. He also has a QB-guru in O'Brien. Still, I would have put the ego aside, taken lesser money, and played for a team that's already built around me and can very likely repeat next season, or at least continue to be the perennial contender that they've always been. If he stays in Denver and they don't repeat, I seriously don't think he'll be...'under the gun' like Steve Young was those first few years he started in SF. Peyton wasn't considered the 'main' reason why they won it in '15 and the fans will understand that he's still a new QB still learning. Just my POV. Thoughts?
bachslunch

Re: Osweiler signing with Texans

Post by bachslunch »

What matters in NFL contracts is guaranteed money. If the difference is significant between what he'll get from Houston and what he was going to get from Denver, it makes sense to take it. He may never get another chance at a big payday. And while he's headed to Houston, it could be much worse -- he could be going to Detroit or Cleveland.

He's got his SB ring regardless. Would be nice to be the one leading the team to it, but hey, it's more than many players ever get.

I'd do the same thing.
mwald

Post by mwald »

Where's the evidence of O'Brien being a QB guru? That's the spin on him, all right. The media has milked his brief relationship with Tom Brady because, apparently, they can't think of anything else to write about him. But as a head coach his teams have been notorious for middling to bad quarterback play. O'Brien's kind of like John Gruden, a coach the media portrayed (and still does, whenever his name comes up for vacancies) as an offensive guru but whose teams didn't exactly light up the scoreboard, and he never really developed a QB that wasn't already accomplished in some way already.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

mwald wrote:Where's the evidence of O'Brien being a QB guru? That's the spin on him, all right. The media has milked his brief relationship with Tom Brady because, apparently, they can't think of anything else to write about him. But as a head coach his teams have been notorious for middling to bad quarterback play. O'Brien's kind of like John Gruden, a coach the media portrayed (and still does, whenever his name comes up for vacancies) as an offensive guru but whose teams didn't exactly light up the scoreboard, and he never really developed a QB that wasn't already accomplished in some way already.
His workings with Brady doesn't come to mind at all with me. I'm thinking Matt McGloin who IMO doesn't even make the NFL if not for playing under him his senior year at Penn St. And then you have Christian Hackenburg whose stock has fallen a bit since he left. However, I probably am a bit guilty like the media as you say. Maybe jumping the gun a bit with the 'guru' term considering how things have been so far with Houston. Jury still out with that, I guess, but his brief time up in Happy Valley worth a mention. I'm sure Franklin will do well but really wish BOB would have stayed there. He would have been great IMO.