Roscoe Word

JWL

Roscoe Word

Post by JWL »

I remember at the old forum it was stated that Alvin Maxson played with four teams in 1978 and that this was the record.

Well, I have since seen that Roscoe Word played with the Jets, Bills, Giants and Buccaneers in 1976. These teams went a combined 8-48.

Are there any other players who played for four teams in one season?
MatthewToy

Re: Roscoe Word

Post by MatthewToy »

Randy Moss? Even if not that last season for him had to be embarrassing.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Kicker Jose Cortez in 2005 saw action with the Cowboys, Eagles, 49ers and Colts, although with the Colts he just handled kickoffs for Mike Vanderjagt for two games:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... ejos01.htm
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
LJP

Post by LJP »

Jim Kendrick played for 4 teams in 1925 - http://www.profootballarchives.com/kend00400.html

Maxson was actually with six teams during the 1978 regular season, although only played for four. He was waived by the Steelers in the final roster cuts and claimed by Washington. They waived him before week 1, but had to pay his salary for that week as he was on the roster after Thursday. The Bears had an open roster spot and claimed him off waivers as a favour for the Steelers and he was technically on their 45 man roster for week 1, although never joined the team. Jim Finks then waived/traded Maxson back to the Steelers for past considerations, thanking them for drafting him in 1949. Maxson played with the Steelers, Buccs, Oilers & Giants in 1978 - http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1978 ... r-steelers
JWL

Post by JWL »

I noticed that pro-football-reference and the ESPN Pro Football Encyclopedia show that Word played in two games for the Buccaneers in 1976. He actually played in three. He came off the bench at Oakland and started at Pittsburgh and vs New England.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

JWL wrote:I remember at the old forum it was stated that Alvin Maxson played with four teams in 1978 and that this was the record.

Well, I have since seen that Roscoe Word played with the Jets, Bills, Giants and Buccaneers in 1976. These teams went a combined 8-48.
Are there any other players who played for four teams in one season?
1924 Dick Stahlman - KEN/HAM/KC/AKR
1925 Jim Kendrick - HAM/BUF/ROC/RI
1930 Jack McArthur - NEW/PRO/FRA/BKN
superbowlfanatic

Post by superbowlfanatic »

This thread inspired a new trivia question I will now post in a new thread.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

JWL wrote:I noticed that pro-football-reference and the ESPN Pro Football Encyclopedia show that Word played in two games for the Buccaneers in 1976. He actually played in three. He came off the bench at Oakland and started at Pittsburgh and vs New England.
I asked the NFL about this and they asked Elias. Word was not listed as sub on the official score sheet submitted to Elias for the 11/28/1976 game against Oakland. They won't change it based on the gamebook (back then in the pre-internet days the gamebook was NOT the official score sheet).
JWL

Post by JWL »

TodMaher wrote:
JWL wrote:I noticed that pro-football-reference and the ESPN Pro Football Encyclopedia show that Word played in two games for the Buccaneers in 1976. He actually played in three. He came off the bench at Oakland and started at Pittsburgh and vs New England.
I asked the NFL about this and they asked Elias. Word was not listed as sub on the official score sheet submitted to Elias for the 11/28/1976 game against Oakland. They won't change it based on the gamebook (back then in the pre-internet days the gamebook was NOT the official score sheet).
Do they agree, though, that he actually played in the game at Oakland? The game book lists him as having played and the last page shows he made tackles. Sometimes I don't know what to believe with the game books. It wouldn't shock me to learn some other guy played but whoever put the game book together was straight out confused as to who was who.

Now if Word did play in that game and the NFL/Elias confirms as much meaning Word really did play three games for Tampa Bay and they still won't correct it, then that is insane.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

JWL wrote:
TodMaher wrote:
Do they agree, though, that he actually played in the game at Oakland? The game book lists him as having played and the last page shows he made tackles. Sometimes I don't know what to believe with the game books. It wouldn't shock me to learn some other guy played but whoever put the game book together was straight out confused as to who was who.

Now if Word did play in that game and the NFL/Elias confirms as much meaning Word really did play three games for Tampa Bay and they still won't correct it, then that is insane.
No, they say he did NOT play in that game (see my original post). But I've pointed out in a follow up email the four tackles in the second half, so maybe they will change it - but maybe not.