WFL vs USFL

74_75_78_79_

WFL vs USFL

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

My apologies if this has already been a thread in the past, but between both leagues collectively - players and coaching combined - which of these two was the stronger league? I'm sure most will say USFL and if so, by how much?
BD Sullivan

Re: WFL vs USFL

Post by BD Sullivan »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:My apologies if this has already been a thread in the past, but between both leagues collectively - players and coaching combined - which of these two was the stronger league? I'm sure most will say USFL and if so, by how much?
The USFL, since they were able to get actual good college talent to play for them, and helped develop some that needed a little seasoning--Sam Mills springs to mind. Plus, they didn't have to go head-to-head in playing their games.

The time frames of their starts couldn't have been more different: the WFL was begun in the midst of a bad recession, while the USFL began when the economic recovery started to pick up.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

The USFL had some interesting coaches. George Allen, Dick Coury, Mouse Davis, Chuck Fairbanks, Marv Levy, Jim Mora, Steve Spurrier...even Lee Corso and Pepper Rodgers.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:My apologies if this has already been a thread in the past, but between both leagues collectively - players and coaching combined - which of these two was the stronger league? I'm sure most will say USFL and if so, by how much?
USFL, IMO. They had more money, got good college players and some of their NFL raids were better than the WFL raids in NFL players.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Bryan wrote:The USFL had some interesting coaches. George Allen, Dick Coury, Mouse Davis, Chuck Fairbanks, Marv Levy, Jim Mora, Steve Spurrier...even Lee Corso and Pepper Rodgers.
I like seeing Mouse, Pepper, and co. in those USFL "bloopers" style VHS's. Still pop those in every couple years.