First-time eligibles for HOF Class of 2017 include:

oldecapecod11

Re: First-time eligibles for HOF Class of 2017 include:

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by bachslunch » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:42 pm
"Re Gradishar: I knew he was a HoF finalist twice (2003 and 2008), but Wikipedia says he got closest to enshrinement in 2003, when he apparently made the cutdown from 15 to 10, but not into the final 5. Strange that he wasn't a finalist again until five years later, when he didn't even reach the top 10."

Gone, as in the close of an old broadsheet posted at the coal quay of Cork: "...maybe for years, maybe forever."
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

bachslunch wrote:
oldecapecod11 wrote:Since many have drifted from "First-time eligibles," it must be noted that the most glaring omission at LB is Maxie Baughan.
I'd actually list Chuck Howley first with Baughan right behind, followed closely by Gradishar and Robert Brazile. All absolutely should be in. The difference is mainly akin to that of different kinds of 12 year old single malt scotch, am guessing.
What do you think of Isiah Robertson, Bachslunch? His career can be catalogued as "pre-Earl Campbell hit", when he was a perennial Pro Bowler with/or some All-Pro or All-NFC honors in each of his first seven seasons , but after that Oiler game in 1978 he wasn't the same, but he played and started every game in his last four seasons for the Buffalo Bills.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

As far as LBs are concerned, I like to break them down by Senior vs. non-Senior and by type.

**Regularly eligible OLBs:

Already mentioned this in another post. The best eligible options would probably be

Cornelius Bennett 3/5/90s
Greg Lloyd 3/5/none
Pat Swilling 2/5/none

(For me, Clay Matthews is below these three at 1/4/none and a non-starter).

However at this point, I think there are plenty enough such players in. Am thinking there's not much need to consider anyone for another 5 years or so when folks like Lance Briggs, John Abraham, Demarcus Ware, and Terrell Suggs become eligible.

**Regularly eligible MLB/ILBs:

Again, mostly already covered in another post. I think the best currently available options would be

Zach Thomas 5/7/00s
Karl Mecklenburg 4/6/none
Sam Mills 3/5/none

and given that this position isn't too well represented post-70s, I think they all belong in. Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, and Patrick Willis will join this group in another 3-5 years.

**Senior eligible MLB/ILBs:

The position is already well represented in the HoF. I think the best currently available options would be

Randy Gradishar 4/7/none
Bill Bergey 4/5/none
Tommy Nobis 2/5/60s
Lee Roy Jordan 2/5/none
Mike Curtis 2/4/none (also scores low on Ken Crippen's site, 7.6)

I support Gradishar since he has the best honors of the bunch and is due some pioneer credit as a successful early ILB in a 3-4 defense. Am not taken with the rest until a lot more OLBs from this era are inducted.

**Senior eligible OLBs

Despite some progress on this position, more players need to be inducted here. I think the best options include

Chuck Howley 5/6/none
Maxie Baughan 5/9/none
Robert Brazile 5/7/70s
Joe Fortunato 3/5/50s
Larry Grantham 5/5/allAFL
Bill Forester 4/4/none
Mike Stratton 4/6/allAFL
Isiah Robertson 3/6/none
Andy Russell 1/7/none
Matt Blair 1/6/none

For me, the first three are non-negotiable musts. Fortunato, Grantham, and Forester would be the next tier down and strike me as deserving to varying degrees, though I could live without them in if need be. From Stratton down, it gets dicier.

Anyway, that's how I see it.