Heath Miller (and Aaron Smith)

paulksandiego

Re: Heath Miller (and Aaron Smith)

Post by paulksandiego »

Bryan wrote:
paulksandiego wrote:I have to disagree, I'd put Miller on the Steelers all-time team. Yeah, Green was probably a better player, but he didn't have the longevity. Cunningham was good but I thought Miller was better all-around. Just my opinion.
Yeah, I'd have Miller as an easy #1. Cunningham had a 3-year span where he didn't miss many games (immortalized by John Facenda in the 1982 Steeler highlight film "...and in case anyone hasn't noticed, Bennie Cunningham has put together back-to-back GOOD SEASONS"), but otherwise he missed a ton of time with various injuries. I don't know how far back you can go with the term "TE", but Elbie Nickel would be my #2 guy if we are including closed ends from the pre-1960's.
Good one Bryan. If we count Nickel as a TE, he'd probably my #2 guy as well. The tough question is which two receivers on the 1st team: Swann, Stallworth or Ward? And I guess Antonio Brown could now be in the mix.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

paulksandiego wrote:Good one Bryan. If we count Nickel as a TE, he'd probably my #2 guy as well. The tough question is which two receivers on the 1st team: Swann, Stallworth or Ward? And I guess Antonio Brown could now be in the mix.
I'd go with Antonio Brown and Swann. Its too bad that Brown got cheapshotted out of the playoffs in the divisional round against Cincy, because I think the Steelers had a good chance to defeat the Broncos with a healthy Brown because he could get open in the 2 seconds that it took Miller and Ware to get to the QB. Its remarkable what Brown has done the last few years. He reminds me of Steph Curry in the NBA...he doesn't look like much, but every time you watch him he is consistently producing.

I'd go with Swann over Stallworth because I always though of Swann as the #1 guy when both were in the their prime. Stallworth continued to be great after Swann retired, so perhaps that is a bad way to look at it.

Ward to me isn't even in the conversation. A nice #2 WR, but not on the same level as the other 3 guys. I have a suspicion that Ward will eventually make the HOF, which would be an egregious error IMO with so many other great WRs not in.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Louis Lipps and Yancey Thigpen both had two good seasons with Pittsburgh, but they were below Swann, Stallworth, Ward and Brown.