Thoughts on Broncos-Pats AFC Championship game

Bryan

Re: Thoughts on Broncos-Pats AFC Championship game

Post by Bryan »

mwald wrote:Gostkowski's missed PAT was indeed huge but I don't understand the criticism Belichick is getting for not going for the field goal later in the game. Sure, in hindsight it looks like the wrong decision. But had Belichick opted to kick the field goal (assuming Gostkowski makes it) the Broncos may very well have been more aggressive on the next drive. Critics should not assume everything would've played out exactly the same from that point on.

It's the butterfly flapping its wings in Africa setting off a chain of events resulting in a hurricane in North America theory.
I thought it was the wrong decision at the time it happened, without using hindsight. I understand Belichick's thinking, and its definitely not a case where there is no gray area...I just wouldn't have done what Belichick did. It wasn't a 4th and inches situation, it was 4th and 6, so the Broncos knew the Patriots had to pass. Assuming they convert the 4th down, the Patriots still would most likely need another set of downs to get into the endzone.

I think your point about the Broncos being more aggressive on the next drive is part of the reason why New England should have kicked the FG. The Broncos offense had done nothing and were very content to be in "clock kill" mode. Making it a 5 point game would force the Broncos to actually do something on offense and, perhaps, make a mistake.

Obviously one should not assume everything would have played out exactly the same (I didn't know this was even an "issue"...Doc Brown, time-space continuums and such), and if that is what you are hung up on then I guess we should all give up analyzing NFL games after they happen.
mwald

Post by mwald »

Bryan wrote: Obviously one should not assume everything would have played out exactly the same (I didn't know this was even an "issue"...Doc Brown, time-space continuums and such), and if that is what you are hung up on then I guess we should all give up analyzing NFL games after they happen.
Dude, relax. It was just an observation.

And I thought analyzing this game after it happened was what I was doing. :D
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

mwald wrote:Dude, relax. It was just an observation.
Well, thanks for pointing out that the game would not have played out exactly the same had the Patriots kicked a FG instead of going for it on 4th down. Those critics have effectively been silenced by your astute observation.
mwald

Post by mwald »

Bryan wrote:
mwald wrote:Dude, relax. It was just an observation.
Well, thanks for pointing out that the game would not have played out exactly the same had the Patriots kicked a FG instead of going for it on 4th down. Those critics have effectively been silenced by your astute observation.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I think critics do this sort of thing all the time - isolate on one play, then debate how different the game would've been based solely on that.

And Bryan, if there's something you want to get off your chest feel free to send me a private message.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

mwald wrote:We'll have to agree to disagree. I think critics do this sort of thing all the time - isolate on one play, then debate how different the game would've been based solely on that.

And Bryan, if there's something you want to get off your chest feel free to send me a private message.
What are we agreeing to disagree on? I agree with you that we cannot assume that the game would have played out exactly the same if we were to change one of the in-game events. What I have posted in regards to my thoughts on the matter are not dependent on the game playing out exactly the same. I'm not sure what is supposed to be accomplished with your passive-aggressive private message request...I'd much rather be transparent with my football discussion, hence why I posted my thoughts for all to see. Just trying to generate discussion on this board.

Do you not agree that it would be beneficial to the Patriots for the Broncos to be out "kill clock" mode and have the threat of losing the game in regulation looming over their head?
mwald

Post by mwald »

Bryan wrote:
mwald wrote:We'll have to agree to disagree. I think critics do this sort of thing all the time - isolate on one play, then debate how different the game would've been based solely on that.

What are we agreeing to disagree on? I agree with you that we cannot assume that the game would have played out exactly the same if we were to change one of the in-game events. What I have posted in regards to my thoughts on the matter are not dependent on the game playing out exactly the same. I'm not sure what is supposed to be accomplished with your passive-aggressive private message request...I'd much rather be transparent with my football discussion, hence why I posted my thoughts for all to see. Just trying to generate discussion on this board.

Do you not agree that it would be beneficial to the Patriots for the Broncos to be out "kill clock" mode and have the threat of losing the game in regulation looming over their head?
Nothing passive aggressive at all. You seemed a bit hostile for some reason, offered to give you a chance to blow off some steam. If there's no steam to blow off, fantastic.

As for the question, I guess my opinion hasn't changed.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by Bryan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:50 am
"... Do you not agree that it would be beneficial to the Patriots for the Broncos to be out "kill clock" mode and have the threat of losing the game in regulation looming over their head?"

No; it would hardly be beneficial to New England to have the Broncos in "attack mode."
Peyton Manning has shown far too many times that he is capable of widening the margin - arm-strength notwithstanding.
One should not place hope on the possibility of opponent error.
Once-upon-a-time, 1st-base was open but they pitched to a Scot named Thomson because Willie Mays was on-deck.
The ensuing "miracle" became one of the greatest moments in sports history - both the event and the result.
No other sport has had a team come from so far back and succeed so dramatically. None! Ever!
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

mwald wrote:Nothing passive aggressive at all. You seemed a bit hostile for some reason, offered to give you a chance to blow off some steam. If there's no steam to blow off, fantastic.
Thanks!
John Maxymuk

Post by John Maxymuk »

I knew it was a bad decision by Belichick as soon as Phil Simms endorsed it. :D
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

oldecapecod11 wrote:by Bryan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:50 am
"... Do you not agree that it would be beneficial to the Patriots for the Broncos to be out "kill clock" mode and have the threat of losing the game in regulation looming over their head?"

No; it would hardly be beneficial to New England to have the Broncos in "attack mode."
Peyton Manning has shown far too many times that he is capable of widening the margin - arm-strength notwithstanding.
One should not place hope on the possibility of opponent error.
Once-upon-a-time, 1st-base was open but they pitched to a Scot named Thomson because Willie Mays was on-deck.
The ensuing "miracle" became one of the greatest moments in sports history - both the event and the result.
No other sport has had a team come from so far back and succeed so dramatically. None! Ever!
They probably didn't walk Thomson because it would have put the winning run on base, which is something most teams don't like to do.

Of course, maybe they should have walked Thomson to pitch to Mays. Thomson was the better hitter in 1951. Moreover, in September and October of 1951 Thomson hit .440(!) with 9 home runs, whereas Mays hit .233 with 1 home run. Mays also wound up with 3 GIDP (all in the same game) in the following World Series.